Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there are any TJ owners in the Los Angeles area with a manual transmission that wants to swap to an automatic. I currently have a 2006 LJ with the 4 speed transmission and a modded on cooling system for it. It's currently not functioning properly after being rebuilt so I'm going to have it rebuilt again but I really want to change out for the manual. If there's anyone wanting to swap with me or anyone who has parts needed to swap out for the manual please contact me as I would love to put a manual transmission in my LJ. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
What is the issue with your tran
I'm wondering if there are any TJ owners in the Los Angeles area with a manual transmission that wants to swap to an automatic. I currently have a 2006 LJ with the 4 speed transmission and a modded on cooling system for it. It's currently not functioning properly after being rebuilt so I'm going to have it rebuilt again but I really want to change out for the manual. If there's anyone wanting to swap with me or anyone who has parts needed to swap out for the manual please contact me as I would love to put a manual transmission in my LJ. Thanks!
What is the issue with your 42rle transmission? By chance is your rig throwing the P0700 code? Sure someone will come along with transmission swap info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was working fine when I bought it a couple months ago, then after handing to to the mechanics for a brake light and AC resistor is started slamming gears together and would leave me in a weird neutral state for upwards of 3 seconds before shifting. It's all around a really rough ride going from 1st to 2nd gear and it takes some warming up on the transmission before it smooths out and starts behaving normally. I had the mechanics rebuild the transmission but the issue is still there and they won't tell me what they replaced on it so I'm going to have to get it serviced at the dealership I work at.

·
Registered
397 Posts
might be the TCM/PCM issue that those 05/06 Autos have, might want to give Mark at WranglerFix a call. They seem to have a handle on those hard shifts, and I haven't heard any complaints after they fix PCMs

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Sounds like an issue with your PCM, which is common with the 42rle equipped 2006 TJ. Transmission likely didn’t need a rebuild but instead a replacement PCM. Try disconnecting the battery cables to reset the PCM then take the rig for a drive.

My rig had similar 1-2gear hard shifting, which was fixed by a replacement PCM from Wranglerfix.PCM install takes 10 minutes with a screwdriver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.