Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning was the 2nd time in a few months that this has happened.

Get in Jeep. Push clutch in. Turn key. Jeep lunges forward. Weird smell.

Jeep rolls back, I try it again and it everything works like it's supposed to.

The problem is I don't need to be surprised by this if I'm in a parking lot or my kids are playing around in front of the vehicle. Any ideas what's going on here?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would say the clutch is sticking and if it's in gear when you push the clutch in and start it can do that it if the clutch it sticking. try putting it neutral and then start it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
then if it doesn't lurch when it's in neutral and starting it then somewhere in the clutch assembly is sticking it sounds like the clutch plate could be sticking to flywheel or cluthc out of adjustment

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I agree with brett74 x2.

It sounds like the clutch disc is “sticking” to the flywheel or pressure plate or both. It will usually happen if the vehicle has been sitting for a long time or sitting for a relatively short time if the clutch has gotten wet. Rust forms on the flywheel/pressure plate surface & “grabs” the disc while it is sitting there compressed by the pressure plate. The resistance of trying to move the vehicle causes it to break loose & you are OK until the next time. I have seen in extreme cases where you could not get it to release even with it in gear, brakes on & hitting the starter. Only way was to drop the trans & remove the clutch even having to pry the pressure plate away from the flywheel.

If the clutch has been through deep water or even possibly water crossing or flooded roads usually just normal clutch use while driving will fix this in a short time but if it continues try slipping the clutch a bit to try to clean the surfaces. If not you will have to pull it & clean the surfaces & maybe replace the disc. And yes, burning disc lining has a definite, distinctive smell.

Meanwhile, clear the kids before starting!

If it is stuck & you start it in neutral it won’t jump but you will not be able to get it in gear when you push the clutch in & will have to restart it in gear but at least you will know what to expect…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts