Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1992 YJ that we bought for our oldest son a year and a half ago. It has the AX15 in it, but as much as I want him to learn to drive a manual it is posing much more difficult than I imagined. He has Aspergers (High functioning Autism) and the added pieces of driving a manual in traffic is posing too much for him. I am now looking into swapping the AX15 for possibly a 30RH. I am not sure what all this would take to do or if it is possible without spending an insane amount of money. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Kds4x488b,

Other posters should be able to help you out with what it takes to get the swap done for your son. The best deal as far as parts go is for you to find a person with an auto trans YJ that wants to swap for the standard shift setup.
Even if you find such a swap, the labor to have it done may prove to be beyond practicality. It might be doable if you can do the labor yourself.

Do you have a mechanic in mind and have you spoken with him or are you planning to do the work yourself?

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I haven't done the swap on a Jeep but have done it in other vehicles in reverse = auto to standard. You'll need the trans, torque converter, an auto trans brake pedal, either an auto-shift steering column and linkage or an aftermarket floor shifter, possibly a trans mount, a PCM for an auto trans, flex plate for an auto, possibly a different t-case depending on input spline count and possibly new front and rear drivelines, maybe a couple of things that I haven't thought of.

None of which is going to be inexpensive your local junkyard will be the best place to find these things at the lowest cost. You could sell the AX15, bell housing and other parts to help offset the cost. You would probably better off selling that one and buying your son one with an auto trans already.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I am looking around for a 92 that might have the auto in it. I was already thinking that would be the easiest route to take. I have always worked on my own cars so I would be doing this myself also. As soon as I get some time to go to the junkyards I will look there as well. If anything I hopefully can just find one there, do a rebuild on it and then put it in.

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
Have some concern that if just shifting is too much then handling minor emergencies of driving may also be problematic but as far as YJ auto swaps nice write up here
Unless you want to go overdrive aw4 auto skip the electronic control stuff but otherwise basically the same

https://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/aw-4b/aw-4b-1.htm

The Jeep three speed overdrive auto only has a lock up solenoid for torque converter no other electronic control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
You want the 32RH not the 30rh. The 32rh came bebind the in line six, the 30rh behind the 4 cyc (I do believe) most of the parts mentioned you should be able to get from a donor jeep (YJ or TJ I think) that you get the tranny from, but still not easy. You could use a floor shifter from the TJ for the 32RH. But unless you have some really good reason to keep the current jeep it is faster and easiier to just buy a jeep with an auto and sell yours. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am looking around for a 92 that might have the auto in it. I was already thinking that would be the easiest route to take. I have always worked on my own cars so I would be doing this myself also. As soon as I get some time to go to the junkyards I will look there as well. If anything I hopefully can just find one there, do a rebuild on it and then put it in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My Uncle who sold me my YJ actually did the Manual to Auto swap on mine long before he sold it to me.
As stated above there is a list of parts you need. It's really not that much if you can pull a transmission, there is no fab work that I'm aware of. On my jeep he went with a B&M Star Shifter, which works quite well. On the 4.0 I don't know if the engine computer will be happy with the auto unless you switch ECUs.

·
Registered
15,649 Posts
The manual pcm will be happy but it will. Or control the tc lockup function

Swap not real
Hard and the post saying you need a auto brake pedal is not correct
You may want the bigger auto brake pedal but the manual brake pedal will
Continue to work fine after an auto tranny swap
Or you can remove clutch pedal and attach a bigger face to manual brake pedal

However if shifting gears is a large enough distraction to make ones driving skills/attention marginal not sure they are ever actually up to what ever sudden unexpected thing can happen but your call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts