Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about swapping my manual trans out for a automatic. Am I crazy? How much work would it be also?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Find yourself a same year donor (someone who wants to swap closeby) and it wont be too bad. Im still considering swapping my 32rh for a 5 speed just need to find someone close by.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Find yourself a same year donor (someone who wants to swap closeby) and it wont be too bad. Im still considering swapping my 32rh for a 5 speed just need to find someone close by.
Not close by, but I'd gladly get rid of my 5 speed for an auto. Why would you want to do that when autos are so much better offroad? No stalling in sticky situations. You are able to feather the gas to bounce up on obstacles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I swapped my NV3550 for an AW4 and could not be happier. The swap itself was pretty easy for me. I got it done in a weekend by myself. The difficult part was getting all the parts together and all the prep work. I found a guy swapping to a manual and got some of the parts I needed, the rest was junkyards and hours spent on the internet.

Best case would be a same year swap.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,115 Posts
Thinking about swapping my manual trans out for a automatic. Am I crazy? How much work would it be also?
No, you're not crazy, it's a great upgrade that I did in a weekend on my previous '97 TJ. Go for the nearly bulletproof 32RH automatic transmission that came in Jeeps through 2002 and it'll be a simple bolt-in swap. The automatic gave me 2-3X greater low-end torque which was amazing for getting up & over offroad obstacles. Not to mention the infinitely low 1st gear ratio that gives an infinitely high crawl ratio... a good thing for offroading.

The wiring is already there, you just need to get all the parts & bolt them in. You'll need to swap the engine computer for one out of your same year TJ that is set up for an automatic but that swap only takes 2 minutes.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
No, you're not crazy, it's a great upgrade that I did in a weekend on my previous '97 TJ. Go for the nearly bulletproof 32RH automatic transmission that came in Jeeps through 2002 and it'll be a simple bolt-in swap. The automatic gave me 2-3X greater low-end torque which was amazing for getting up & over offroad obstacles. Not to mention the infinitely low 1st gear ratio that gives an infinitely high crawl ratio... a good thing for offroading.

The wiring is already there, you just need to get all the parts & bolt them in. You'll need to swap the engine computer for one out of your same year TJ that is set up for an automatic but that swap only takes 2 minutes.
See that Atco. You have a 2000, I have a 2000. Wanna trade even up? :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
man, i would love to swap to an auto. that was what i was originally looking for, but couldn't pass up the deal on my TJ.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How will it be on the highway with the auto..... Its not my daily driver but i still drive it alot. I dont want it to be real doggy on the road.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Trust me i love my auto but even with the breather mod that im going to do hopefully soon ill still be wigging out everytime i accidentally get a little too deep in water lol I wheel in wharton state forest so water is an issue.

Maybe if i just wrap the entire thing in plastic wrap :popcorn:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I got the 32RH in mine and not long ago I blew a trans cooler line and drove it about 5 miles to get to the main road for a tow truck. Slipping and whining the whole way, got it home filled the fluid back up and new cooler line and the trans acts like nothing ever happened. I would never give up my Auto!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts