1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
219 Posts
Been down shifting since before I got my driver's license and that was 53 years ago and have yet to wear a clutch plate out from that practice.

And I don't have any vehicles with auto's as I hate them. The brake linings/pads wear much, much quicker than the clutch plate if both are properly set up and properly used-just don't slip the clutch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't read the edmonds article yet, but to answer your question: I have always downshifted when coming to a stop. But with this Jeep (2012, 2 door, 6 speed) I found 5th gear is all but worthless as far as slowing the vehicle down. So I started dropping from 6th to 4th, then 4th to 2nd.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't read the edmonds article yet, but to answer your question: I have always downshifted when coming to a stop. But with this Jeep (2012, 2 door, 6 speed) I found 5th gear is all but worthless as far as slowing the vehicle down. So I started dropping from 6th to 4th, then 4th to 2nd.
I do it similar with the 6th to 4th. I use it a lot in rush hour rather than hitting my brakes.

duffer: I was thinking the same thing about brakes vs. clutch repair.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Neither, when stoping, clutch goes in, and brake. Shift to first at rest. Now if the light changes before a full stop, then down shift to appropiate gear. I might downshift before turning a corner, depends on situation. Now, this is mostly city driving, with a lot of stop and go.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Yeah, I downshift.

And I've heard the substance of this article before. Namely, that you shouldn't downshift because brakes are cheap and easy to replace, whereas clutch plates aren't, so why use your clutch to slow down the vehicle when you can do it just fine with your brakes?

I say, "M'eh." Folks have been downshifting to slow down forever with no problems. If you're good at, downshift. If not, you don't have to. Whatever works for you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sometimes I like to slow to a stop without using my brakes until absolutly necessary. Just for fun.
And sometimes I downshift as an effective tool to remove a tailgater from my personal space. :D

BTW - I agree with this part of the article: ...you really get a sense of man-and-machine symbiosis when you master the manual transmission.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Neither, when stoping, clutch goes in, and brake. Shift to first at rest. Now if the light changes before a full stop, then down shift to appropiate gear. I might downshift before turning a corner, depends on situation. Now, this is mostly city driving, with a lot of stop and go.
me too..less strain on the entire drive train

·
Registered
90 Posts
Always downshift, but mildly, while using brakes ..... like to end up around 2000-2300 rpm when I release the clutch in the lower gear.

Rj

·
Registered
427 Posts
I downshift, rev-match, heel-and-toe all the time. I came from the sport car world lol.

·
Registered
486 Posts
djwrangler said:
I downshift, rev-match, heel-and-toe all the time. I came from the sport car world lol.
Haha +1 on doing the same... came from the rallycross and sports car world as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've always downshifted with no problems. It's the way I've done it for 26 years of driving. Not gonna change now.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Down shifting helps when your pulling a heavy trailer in the rain without ABS

·
Registered
221 Posts
Daniel332 said:
Have you ever drove a manual? Down shifting slows you down.
yes, that's all I drove for the last 25 years, 400,000 miles. What do YOU do when hauling a load or want to pass? Up shift? I just don't want to waste the gas or increase wear the drivetrain to slow me down. Sports cars only downshift to prepare for acceleration following a curve or corner, not to save brake pads or sound cool.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
JTE said:
yes, that's all I drove for the last 25 years, 400,000 miles. What do YOU do when hauling a load or want to pass? Up shift? I just don't want to waste the gas or increase wear the drivetrain to slow me down. Sports cars only downshift to prepare for acceleration following a curve or corner, not to save brake pads or sound cool.
There is no more wear than usual when down shifting to slow down infact it saves your brakes and it doesn't hurt your gas mileage that much.

And sports cars do it to get ready to accelerate out of a curve but they also do it to save their brakes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts