Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I've been going wheeling quite a bit lately here in Austin (hidden falls). I've got a stock JKRHR, manual transmission. Something I've learned lately is to get the hell off the clutch when in 4L. It's done wonders.

I read on here that someone said you never need to be in anything beyond 4L first gear to climb. So while I agree to an extent, what do you do with the little parts between climbs? I'm often in 4L 1st and I have a bit to get to the next climb. Seems excessive to put it into 4H and then back to 4L. Do you guys sometimes shift into 4L 2nd? Even 3rd? I rarely get past 10mph in 4L 1st.

I always stress about driving in 4L, somehow I think I'm going to hurt something. But I also love the crawling ability of 4L.

Thoughts?

GRSJeeper

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
You can use whatever gear you want in 4 low.

My 1st gear redlines at about 7 mph. Use them all, thats why they are there.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been to Hidden Falls and sometimes the stretches between hills does require 2nd or even 3rd gear when you are in 4 Lo.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
What exactly do you mean "get the hell off the clutch"? How has this done wonders?

To answer your question: my engine red lines at about 3-4mph in 4Lo 1st.. I often go as high as 4th gear in 4LO.. Even climb mild hills in 2nd or 3rd.. But if it's going to be a long way at higher speed I usually go into 4Hi or 2Hi ..

·
Registered
349 Posts
Shift out of 1st gear into 4th gear in between the hill climbs instead of putting the tcase into 4-hi.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The manual says not to exceed 25 MPH in 4L. That is the only limitation.

When I go wheeling, I just keep it in 4L because there is rarely a trail that you can drive faster than 25 MPH on anyway. If I need something higher than 1st gear, I can start off in 2nd or 3rd.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why would you not use clutch and transmission in 4L?
You're not going hurt anything unless you're riding the clutch badly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I could be wrong, but i believe thats what he was referring to with staying off the clutch.
Maybe, but I, and it seems several others also, thought he was saying he never changes out of 1st gear in 4L even though terrain would dictate a higher gear and thats the part that makes no sense to me

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum!
Yours is a very good question. Younger folks a lot of times are savvy to the manual tranny any more due to so many automatic tyranny's around.

Rock crawling (crawling over any obstacle) is best done with a low gear and a lower psi in the tire.
Try airing down to say, 20 psi and attempt the harder part of the obstacle in 4Low & 1st gear.

Once you get to your starting point let off the clutch as easy, but as quickly as you feel you can. Steer; the Jeep will pretty much walk right up the rocks on it's own. Practice this while crawling over smaller rocks on the trail. You'll get the hang of it. Practice feathering the gas also. This new system is very responsive to the skinny pedal.

Try this too: as the tire reaches the top of a rock, put pressure on the brake pedal only (foot off the gas). Apply just enough pressure on the brakes to slow the crawl and feel the motor work against your effort to stop. Learning how to do this (without stalling) will help you reduce the banging around you get coming off a rock too quickly. Remember, don't use the clutch, just the brake.

After you clear the area that requires close attention, shift thru your gears (still in 4LO) up to about 3rd gear. If you past 18mph the sway bar will lock up and make the ride bouncy (side to side) until you slow below 18 MPH.

Clutch work. Remember it is either fully engaged (released pedal & keep the foot off) or fully disengaged. In most cases it should never require a lot of gas to take off. I would say, the proper release of the clutch should only be about 2 -3 seconds. NEVER keep a foot on the clutch pedal.

Enjoy your control over your new toy, it is a world of fun!:)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I think 5000rpm in a Rubi, 4LO is about 35mph. In my TJR I have no problem going the 25mph Jeep says "Do Not Exceed". But as far as "fun to drive" goes... I loved my old YJ, 33s, 3.07s... and 60mph on a forestry road in 4LO. Was like driving an off road Mustang.

The pain in the ass part of a Rubi in 4LO is having to shift 5 times to get to 30mph.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Yours is a very good question. Younger folks a lot of times are savvy to the manual tranny any more due to so many automatic tyranny's around.

Rock crawling (crawling over any obstacle) is best done with a low gear and a lower psi in the tire.
Try airing down to say, 20 psi and attempt the harder part of the obstacle in 4Low & 1st gear.

Once you get to your starting point let off the clutch as easy, but as quickly as you feel you can. Steer; the Jeep will pretty much walk right up the rocks on it's own. Practice this while crawling over smaller rocks on the trail. You'll get the hang of it. Practice feathering the gas also. This new system is very responsive to the skinny pedal.

Try this too: as the tire reaches the top of a rock, put pressure on the brake pedal only (foot off the gas). Apply just enough pressure on the brakes to slow the crawl and feel the motor work against your effort to stop. Learning how to do this (without stalling) will help you reduce the banging around you get coming off a rock too quickly. Remember, don't use the clutch, just the brake.

After you clear the area that requires close attention, shift thru your gears (still in 4LO) up to about 3rd gear. If you past 18mph the sway bar will lock up and make the ride bouncy (side to side) until you slow below 18 MPH.

Clutch work. Remember it is either fully engaged (released pedal & keep the foot off) or fully disengaged. In most cases it should never require a lot of gas to take off. I would say, the proper release of the clutch should only be about 2 -3 seconds. NEVER keep a foot on the clutch pedal.

Best post I've seen in years !! ^^^

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe, but I, and it seems several others also, thought he was saying he never changes out of 1st gear in 4L even though terrain would dictate a higher gear and thats the part that makes no sense to me
By get the hell of the clutch, I meant that I tend to want to control it in 1st during a climb. And being on the clutch in 4L tends to fry it when I'm trying to climb. I've never had a vehicle with the gearing of the jeep, and I've driven manual trans all my life. It takes a certain type of discipline to not ride the clutch in 1st gear 4L. That's all I meant.

I'm happy to shift whenever I need. :)

GRSJeeper

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I always stress about driving in 4L, somehow I think I'm going to hurt something. But I also love the crawling ability of 4L.

Thoughts?

GRSJeeper
4LO makes it less likely to break something. Think of it like a mountain bike. In the deepest gear there is no strain to get moving. But stop without gearing down and try starting in one of the high speed gears. You hang over the handlebars. Your legs are almost bleeding and the bicycle frame almost twists in half.

Start up a steep slope in your Jeep with out down shifting... same thing. Lots of revs, lots of slipping/burning clutch and the drivetrain is trying to twist itself free from the chassis.

·
Registered
495 Posts
GRSJeeper, I am by no means an expert 4-wheeler.

Great write-up by H8SPVMT

Yes, the natural tendency is to "ride" the clutch to control the climb. My son had the same issue - with a Samurai. Finally got him to get his foot of the clutch pedal and just trust in the gearing and gas. Climbs a lot better now.

I have also read, but not tried, that installing a hand throttle (mounted on shifter) will increase control. Frees up your right foot, too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

BTW, there were definitely some nuggets of goodness here. I really appreciate the suggestions with the clutch as I'm seeing the same thing.

Someone just once told me that I should only be in 4L if I'm in 1st gear. And that it would ruin the trans / transfer cases if I used it too much. I'm quite happy to hear that I was over worrying. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I've only been off roading 3 times, but I'm super hooked. If these sound like dumb questions, I apologize, but I'm quite new. I come from a sports car background, and the jeep is VERY different from what I'm used to. In a very good way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts