Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
I owned a 15 rubicon manual and loved it. 4lo first gear was insane crawl mode.
Next up a 16 sahara manual and it was different, 1st gear allowed a longer travel off the line before shifting than the rubicon did and 4lo just didn't seem that lo compared to the rubicon.
Currently own a 17 rubicon recon auto. I like the auto and being able to manually shift the auto makes it very nice offroad.
Buy what you like, and resale is always good on any Jeep.

When I traded the 16 manual, the dealer said I was getting dinged on the trade value due to manual. It was fairly easy to get them to come up to my numbers though as I didnt accept that nonsense.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I will give you a little different perspective. The NSG 6sp. is not great. The shifter is vague and will bruise your leg shaking around off road. The clutch is vague and the TO bearings fail before the clutch. They pop out of gear sometimes. And without question they are harder to drive off road in very technical situations than an Auto. The 4lo shift takes practice and will sometimes be impossible. If your tranny is submerged in muddy water and you engage the clutch you will be very sorry you did!

That said buy what makes you happy. I have a 6sp…

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I ordered my 2016 Jk with manual and have never regretted it. Love the way it shifts...feels like a Jeep. Now, if I was driving it everyday in traffic, I may think differently!
It sucks worse than any vehicle possible- especially if a Rubicon- in stop and go traffic. Short gears, long throw shift, light, but long travel clutch bring the suck. I did it for a few mo the and shopped for a commuter daily…

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I just bought one this past weekend 6-speed etc. Not my first vehicle with a manual by a long shot, Multiple VW's, CJ5 and 7, Liberty (wife's hand me down) few Land Cruisers and some other oddball vehicles (Saab, Austin Mini, TR4, F150, etc.).
I have driven most daily and in good and bad (bumper to bumper for over an hour) traffic. Never been a problem to date and you learn to just leave a larger gap between you and the next vehicle to roll on.

Resale value, Well I just bought one in this horrible market and I specifically was looking for a manual trans. It was on their lot for 3 months, but there is a buyer for everything.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I will give you a little different perspective. The NSG 6sp. is not great. The shifter is vague and will bruise your leg shaking around off road. The clutch is vague and the TO bearings fail before the clutch. They pop out of gear sometimes. And without question they are harder to drive off road in very technical situations than an Auto. The 4lo shift takes practice and will sometimes be impossible. If your tranny is submerged in muddy water and you engage the clutch you will be very sorry you did!

That said buy what makes you happy. I have a 6sp…
When I got my JKU the shifter did bounce around a lot. But, after installing a RK X-Factor lift it stopped moving (I have no explanation why that would be). Then later I got the B&M stick (not the box) and it's not nearly as vague anymore. I really can't complain much about my MT as it's very truck like, stays in gear and doesn't bounce no matter what the terrain is like.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well guys it's a moot point now, at least for me. I ended up getting a 2018 JL Rubicon with the auto. So far I love it and the wife can drive it.
Trader.;)

Reactions: SeventyGTX

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
One thing I do like with this auto is the manual mode on the floor console. It's like shifting without the clutch and you can hold it in any gear you want. The wifes Grand Cherokee has paddle shifters and I feel like a complete idiot trying to use those things smoothly, going down when I mean to go up and vice-versa.

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, too many mods to list.
1,456 Posts
One thing I do like with this auto is the manual mode on the floor console. It's like shifting without the clutch and you can hold it in any gear you want. The wifes Grand Cherokee has paddle shifters and I feel like a complete idiot trying to use those things smoothly, going down when I mean to go up and vice-versa.
But once you get used to paddle shifters, there isn’t much better. My wife’s old MINI Cooper had em, and nobody could figure out how I exited turns so quickly and smoothly. That said, Jeep’s aren’t MINI Cooper sports cars by any stretch of the imagination. Mine shifts like a truck, and you have to be patient with the six speed. The Jeep auto is a damn good trans. It’s just the PCM in the 2005/6 that are a major black eye for them.

·
Registered
12 JKU PERFECT FOR OFF-ROAD ADVENTURES. 2005 Lotus Elise, different tool for a different job..
9 Posts
I’m in the NorthEast and it took me quite a while to find a 6spd manual. Everything was auto with hardtop. Finally found a 6spd soft top with some nice add ons like Borla dual exhaust, killer sound system and wasn’t lifted, I didn’t hesitate. Now it has the lift, wheel and tire package I want. 😀

lots of comments, “dude, you’ve got the perfect Jeep!”
Car Head Land vehicle Vehicle Mirror

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Just taught my 16 year old daughter to drive it. She didn’t stall it once.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I sold my manual 98 TJ about 2 months ago to a guy who was really wanting a manual and I just bought a manual 2016 Unlimited Rubicon Hardrock to replace it. Get what you want. When the time comes to sell it, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I will probably always have a manual. Side benefits: cheaper..and .U.S. car thieves don't like them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
searched for a decent used Jeep with a manual back when i was looking. after months of not finding what i wanted i just ordered one, 6 sp manual, no extra electronics. so glad i did. grew up driving a manual. my wife has been driving Sporty VW’s for years with the tiptronic automatic (similar, but way better than the jeep automatic) when i drive it i always drive in manual mode. some of us just like the feeling of choosing (and knowing) what gear we’re in, and use those gears to their advantage. by the way, my mountain bike is a manual too.

·
Registered
2016 JKUS - 6-spd, Track-Lok, Mild 2.0" Lift etc.
62 Posts
Ok that was either a hilarious double entendre or the same spelling mistake that left me both scratching my head and chuckling to myself (though mostly because it was coupled with grammar hilarity too):

I realize it's a moot point now, but after many years of driving manuals (hell I had a couple full size Chevy trucks both pickup and Blazer) with the granny gear 4-speeds on the floor), I'm not sure I would order my 16' with a stick again.

I mean I like it, I really do. But I abuse it sometimes off-road, and it's a sloppy box. And yeah traffic sucks. I've since driven some autos and they do work so nicely. But then again my rig has a pseudo retro feel so it's all good.

If I buy a JT/JL to accompany it in a few years that's definitely gonna be auto.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ok that was either a hilarious double entendre or the same spelling mistake that left me both scratching my head and chuckling to myself (though mostly because it was coupled with grammar hilarity too):

I realize it's a moot point now, but after many years of driving manuals (hell I had a couple full size Chevy trucks both pickup and Blazer) with the granny gear 4-speeds on the floor), I'm not sure I would order my 16' with a stick again.

I mean I like it, I really do. But I abuse it sometimes off-road, and it's a sloppy box. And yeah traffic sucks. I've since driven some autos and they do work so nicely. But then again my rig has a pseudo retro feel so it's all good.

If I buy a JT/JL to accompany it in a few years that's definitely gonna be auto.
the Miss-smelling was intentional.:) I am a very good smeller.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts