Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y'all, need some advise. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger and replace my clutch In my 2009 Wrangler. My question is which clutch I should get? Stick with factory Mopar or go aftermarket? What other parts do I need to get to do the job correctly? My rig is mostly on pavement but sometimes I go on trails and hit some deep mud holes.

Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think that depends on how long the factory clutch lasted for you. If it worked as you expected for 100K of use or more, then I'd say go with another Mopar clutch just like that one. If you only have 50 or 60K on it and it's worn out, then probably a brand change is in order.

You're going to need a pressure plate, throw-out bearing, and probably a clutch alignment tool if you are doing this yourself. I'll let the JK experts pipe in with other stuff.

When the time comes for me to do a clutch in my JKU, it'll be Exedy.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I would also replace the pilot bearing while you have it torn apart.

Robert

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got almost 100k out of what I believe is the original clutch. Im the second owner so I'm not sure if it was replaced before.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is your clutch slipping? If so what are you going to do about the hot spots on your flywheel? Going to the effort of changing a clutch and have it chatter because of hot spots is crappy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I just put in a centerforce clutch in my 08. I love the feel, the pedal is so much lighter than the Mopar clutch. I expected it to be stiffer so I was pleasantly surprised. I did not go heavy duty since it just seemed like overkill.
I did the disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing, release fork and pivot and pilot. We simply cleaned up the flywheel since it was in good shape. You may want to get yours resurfaced or replaced if its beat up.
On the passenger side at the back of the bell housing about halfway up there is a hole that is where the pivot is screwed into, a couple shots of wd or other penetrating oil would not hurt. Mine snapped when we tried to pull it out and that was a real pain to fix.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is your clutch slipping? If so what are you going to do about the hot spots on your flywheel? Going to the effort of changing a clutch and have it chatter because of hot spots is crappy.

Not sure what "hot spots" are but if you have had clutch chatter then you likely need to get the flywheel resurfaced. I've done plenty of clutch replacements that didn't require the flywheel to be resurfaced. It's very much like brake rotors. Either it requires machining or not, depending on condition. If you can't evaluate the condition, then you just get it resurfaced regardless.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on replacing everything, clutch, pressure plate, pivot, pilot, throwout, flywheel, slave, fork. Might as well when I have it all apart.

·
Registered
669 Posts
if you have "hot spots" and you do, everyone does..
it will be obvious they look like black and blue spots on the flywheel.
the good news is that when you resurface the flywheel they clean right up..

the only real issue is if the flywheel is cracked. or been surfaced so many times it is to thin.. which is unusual .

going to a heavier duty clutch is never bad.. JMHO..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts