Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a big proponent of synthetics and I am looking for everyone's opinion. I'm looking to change over my 6 speed fluid to synthetic. Several brands out there...Amsoil, Royal Purple etc. Opinions on these or others?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm using Pennzoil Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid. I believe your stock fluid is synthetic already.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I am a member of the Miata world as well as Jeeps (I know I'll take some heat there) and we push the Ford Motorcraft Full Synthetic over all others, and they all have been used extensively. It provides the smoothest and quietest performance.

However, for the Jeep I would recommend our second favorite which would be the Amsoil Manual Syncromesh which specifically mentions that it meets the Chrysler specifications.

Specifications

• GM 9985648
  • GM 9986105
  • GM 9985535
  • Chrysler MS-9224
  • Chrysler MS-9417
You can find the specs on this Amsoil page:

AMSOIL Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30

Beware, most all "OIL" threads can get a little fiesty...

·
Registered
374 Posts
Using Redline MTL for several years in my 6spd JKU, smoother shifting and is compatible with MS-9224.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Amsoil Sycromesh fluid In my 6 speed.....Shifts good (well, better than it usually shifts ) and the oil is easy to find locally....
"BH"

·
Registered
581 Posts
May I ask, how often should this be changed out? I have a 2010 with about 29500 miles on her thus far.
When you get the urge. Trans lube isn't operating at the temperature of the engine, and there is typically less contamination. The primary concern is maintaining sufficient level to keep a film on the gears and bearings. The gears will last indefinitely. The bearings will wear faster with old lube. I'd figure 5 years is fine. My 2003 Ram 2500 has 129000 miles, and I still have the factory gear lube in the rear differential.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I'm a big proponent of synthetics and I am looking for everyone's opinion. I'm looking to change over my 6 speed fluid to synthetic. Several brands out there...Amsoil, Royal Purple etc. Opinions on these or others?
Stock fluid is synthetic. Most of the MT fluids in the stores around me are synthetic as well. I use penzoil because it's easiest to get and is a good synthetic

·
Registered
427 Posts
I ran Amsoil in my 04...running it my 2016 JKUHR. Just ordered dif, manual transmission, and transfer case fluids from them.
Just changed my oil last month with Amsoil.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I'm another Redline fan, and just replaced the oil, transfer case oil and the oil in both diffs about a month ago.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Redline MTL every 30k miles. Getting smooth shifts out of that POS gearbox.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts