Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you can make fun all you want but I have had my JK for a year now and haven't taken it off roading. I honestly don't know how to do it with a stick. I tried going through sand once but the second I decide tk shift my jeep dug in and stopped completely. Should you just throw it in 4h and rip through San or mud in first gear only? Any advice you all have would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
With a little practice you can shift gears and never miss a beat. I havent had my jeep in any mud but Iv never had a problem with my trucks. I just floor it right before I clutch it and work the clutch gas and stick real fast. Can allmost allways keep the tires spining between gears. But it does suck when you miss a gear.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Probably you shouldn't have shifted. Stay in gear and get throught the obstacle. Just how deep was this sand?

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you have the traction controle in your jeep turn it off.Air down to about 15psi, 4hi 2nd or 4lo 3rd based on how loose the sand is. Just keep an eye on your RPMs.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
kjeeper10 said:
Prob same as mud and water, DON'T shift
Use 4 low, you can start the jeep in 4 low without depressing the clutch. Stay in 1st gear until your through :thumb:
If your in first low here in east texas you wont get no were near the wheel speed to move a foot. In the red clay your looking at seckend or third gear in high range to make it anywere. Thene there are the times that you will drive through miles and miles of mud at a time. It would be kinda hard to do it without shifting or keeping it in first low

·
Registered
178 Posts
We are talking about a situation where Baoluan sunk in sand when he tried to shift. That is some deep sand. Wider tires with low pressure would be my suggestion. Not talking about speed, talking about moving through sand. Miles of muddy trail is a different animal. I shift in mud all the time. I have very little experience in sand except in a Humvee overseas.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Baoluan, you should go out in more friendly off road areas, and get some experience with your 4H and 4L gears. Then, go back where you got stuck, and I bet you will make it through fine. I believe what we are talking about here is you getting your sea legs, so to speak.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Baoluan, you should go out in more friendly off road areas, and get some experience with your 4H and 4L gears. Then, go back where you got stuck, and I bet you will make it through fine. I believe what we are talking about here is you getting your sea legs, so to speak.

Good advice. Wheel speed and momentum are your friennds in deep sand. If you do bog down, stop, back up as few feet, then go forward.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Prob same as mud and water, DON'T shift
Use 4 low, you can start the jeep in 4 low without depressing the clutch. Stay in 1st gear until your through :thumb:
Kjeeper10

Your saying I can take off in 4 low range without the clutch is that right? I'm driving a 2013 JK Sport 2 dr manual

1 - 14 of 14 Posts