Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So at 85k I just started noticing a whine coming from the gearbox area that is also audible outside the Jeep. In 1st, 2nd and 3rd, there is a whine that comes from the gearbox area during acceleration, but goes away when the pedal isn’t being depressed. It isn’t noticeable at lower RPM apparently, and is nonexistent in 5th and 6th. It almost sounds like it’s coming from the gearshift, but because you can hear it outside the car, I’m more inclined to believe it’s coming from the tranny. Jeep shifts just fine, no clutch slip and no problems getting into gear and downshifting. Clutch pedal feels good. I recently changed out the front brakes, and also noticed I have a small leak at the transfer case (Jeep has a leveling kit and lost the boot on the front driveshaft wheeling about a year back). Any ideas? I’m at a loss. Thinking I might do a fluid change on both the Tc and the tranny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
Boy, if the fluid in the MT wasn’t one of the first things I replaced with Redline MTL when I got my Jeep. I’ve heard reports on the forum of them coming from the factory half filled.

Reactions: rich67

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
+1 for Redline MTL. Every 30,000 miles. Do it!

·
Registered
599 Posts
In my case the transmission whine was due to the missing gearshift Level rubber seal:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/gearshift-lever-seal-jeep-wrangler-jk

Sounded like it was something really wrong with the transmission but at the end it was just a $25 part. I thought I needed a new Tranny.

This is how it was, nothing under the inner boot, you could see the ground; my guess all the heat, cold and mud wore it out and fell or disintegrated.

The new one took like and hour to install, very slowly I kept pushing it in place, not perfect but it worked. Now quiet as new.

Let me know if you need the links and details for the installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts