Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 06 wrangler with a manual 6 speed. Does anyone know what would cause my shifter to have ALOT of play in it? It's real loose. When in driving around it moves a lot. Any help would b great.
Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know much about trans. I was wondering if it could be the syncanisors. Sorry for my spelling lol

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Don't have any experience with them personally but have read that they had some problems with shift forks bending. Don't know if that is it but worth checking into. Do a search here and on the net and you can get some more info. Both of ours are older, 00 has an auto and the 97 has an AX-15 5 speed. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I will definitely check into it. Hopefully I can get around to it this weekend.

·
Registered
2006 LJ
236 Posts
Don't have any experience with them personally but have read that they had some problems with shift forks bending. Don't know if that is it but worth checking into. Do a search here and on the net and you can get some more info. Both of ours are older, 00 has an auto and the 97 has an AX-15 5 speed. Good luck with it!

There is a bolt under the shift boot that can work loose as well. It's a torx if I remember correctly. The shifter lever is held on only by that bolt. Pop the console off from in the cab and there is another small rubber boot under the shifter boot. The bolt is under that. It only takes a few seconds to check.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
Does the shifter sway left/right as you get on and off the gas? Is that the kind of movement you're seeing?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know this is a old post. But I found out I have a extension on my shifter since I have a body lift. On the side of that extension is a small bolt. I tightened that bolt up and my shifter is good and snug now : ). Don't know if that will help anyone but thought I'd let you know my fix.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts