Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Auto or Manual?

• Auto

Votes: 56 37.8%
  • Manual

Votes: 92 62.2%
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vote your opinion and if you want post why it is better that the other.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I prefer a manual (which is what I have) but I think for off road/rock crawling an auto would be best.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I voted manual beause it's my DD and I just love to drive manuals even in New York City.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Love my 5 speed. More fun to drive and I actually prefer a stick shift in snow (even though my husband says that's crazy!). For some reason I feel more in control...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I swapped my NV3550 for an AW4. I loved driving the 5 speed on the street, but in the rocks, I love the auto more. Since she's not a DD anymore I chose to go auto for the offroad benefit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My first Jeep was an auto and I enjoyed it. The Jeep I have now is a stick and I enjoy it even more...plus the wife can't drive a stick. :dance:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
manual. its simpler. I'm a fan of having the simplest jeep possible, and autos are a little more complex than I like. fewer cooling problems etc. manual gets my vote.

·
Registered
727 Posts
What I don't get is people say auto because of rocks but when I am crawling she's in 4lo and I don't touch the clutch. Confused! And when I want a different gear I put it there not hope it goes there

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
No offense to the auto lovers out there, but to me its not a true jeep unless its a manual

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
Be interesting to see how many people who posted have actually driven both manual and auto 4wds in all sorts of conditions - city, highway, sand, rocks, mud etc..

I have both.
Nearly didn't buy my TJ because it's an auto but so glad I did. I'll never have another manual 4wd again.

Don't know how that means it's not a 'true Jeep' though :confused:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Also cheaper and easier to fix!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
A manual may be more fun for some but the purpose built offroad machines like compete in King of the Hammers and other major offroad events made the switch to automatics many years ago. Both winners at the 2012 King of the Hammers event were running automatics. And their automatic transmissions were essentially stock too, only coolers were added.

I converted my previous TJ from its OE 5-speed to an automatic for offroading purposes and the increase in its offroading ability from the automatic's 2-3X extra torque and infinitely low 1st gear ratio gave my TJ as much of a boost in offroad ability as installing the front and rear lockers did. The conversion to the automatic made a DRAMATIC improvement in how well it did offroad, expecially when climbing obstacles. The exact same three obstacles on a trail I have run for years always require a winch to get up and over them with my 4.88 gearing, 5-speed manual, and 35" tires. I couldn't make it up those obstacles without a winch no matter how many different lines I tried over the years. Then after I converted to the automatic, it went up those same three obstacles more easily than I could believe and without the need of a winch. The automatic's 2-3X greater low-end torque from its torque converter was the only difference. Same 35" tires, same 4.88 axle ratio, just the automatic transmission. It was almost stupid-easy after converting to the automatic, wow what a huge improvement on just that trail alone.

And for those who may think I just don't know how to drive a manual transmission well enough... I first learned to drive a stick back in 1964... almost 40 years of owning and driving a whole bunch of manual transmissions. :)

·
Registered
901 Posts
My old CJs were three speed manuals but I really enjoy the convenience of the auto in my TJ. Easier to drink my coffee on the way to work and all that jazz. I also like the AC and shift on the fly 4WD. I'm getting older I guess. It was very fun to shift that three speed behind a 304. Felt great.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I love wheeling with an auto. You can just ease up to a obstacle and climb up it pretty smooth. I have never wheeled with a stick but alway see guys stalling and jerking trying to work the clutch climbing up stuff. I see rock crawling with a stick being a hassle. Just my .02

1 - 20 of 119 Posts