Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a Jeep today (first one). I have been sure I want to get a manual transmission. I have had a few sports cars and prefer the control of the manual transmission. I assume the same would go for the Jeep, but it seems as though most Jeeps are sold as automatics. Just wanted to check with the folks here (since I am new to Jeeps) to see if there is a reason beyond personal preference to choose manual vs automatic. Your feedback is appreciated.

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
Strictly personal preference.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
From another thread:

MTH said:
No matter how many times this comes up and no matter how many times we hear about it being a "personal preference" or "up to you" or that you should just "test drive both," I am certain--CERTAIN I TELL YOU--that someday, SOMEHOW, we're going to get to the bottom of it.

There's going to be a thread here one day that affirmatively, definitively, and unequivocally settles ONCE AND FOR ALL whether an auto or a manual is the "best" choice.

The answer is still out there, let us all continue the quest . . . . :rofl:
:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought I wanted a manual until I drove the new JK...The 6 speed manual doesnt shift well to me, it feels like a big work truck with long throws. I went with the auto and am very happy I did....

But its a jeep, not a sports car and its not gonna shift like one...so definately personal preference, thats why they make both.....

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I thought I wanted a manual until I drove the new JK...The 6 speed manual doesnt shift well to me, it feels like a big work truck with long throws. I went with the auto and am very happy I did....

But its a jeep, not a sports car and its not gonna shift like one...so definately personal preference, thats why they make both.....
This. I own the auto, it is incredibly smooth. I have driven the 6-speed extensively and do not like it. If you are used to sport car boxes, you won't like it. Long throws, people complaining it popping out of get etc. Go auto :thumb:

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
I have an auto, no regrets.

Full disclosure: tried the standard but I really sucked at it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a manual and wouldn't trade it for 2 automatics!

I have had both auto & manual cars & trucks in the past and I've always enjoyed the manuals more (definitively EVERY TIME) and on top of that the Jeep tranny shifts smooth as butter (definitively not like a U-Haul truck) and the downshifts are very nice to have when entering a turn...try that with an automatic;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
It is personal preference.
Can only tell you what I did and why.
I drove strictly manual until the age of 30. Then I switched.
I live in Chicago area, with super heavy traffic.
Last thing I need in stop and go traffic is manual and to pump that clutch.
If I want to pump, I rather go to gym.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I hate the jeep manual especially if your like me and have drove only heavily modded mustangs and camaros manual. I honestly just hated it when I drove it there is no slamming into gears it's more like just slow Long shifts its no fun to me at all. The control is ok but feels more like "well ok let's get to the next gear" (depressed voice)

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
CaptainCalf said:
I have a manual and wouldn't trade it for 2 automatics!

I have had both auto & manual cars & trucks in the past and I've always enjoyed the manuals more (definitively EVERY TIME) and on top of that the Jeep tranny shifts smooth as butter (definitively not like a U-Haul truck) and the downshifts are very nice to have when entering a turn...try that with an automatic;)
It's called steptronic it comes standard in the new automatics :) very easy to downshift with the slight movement of the shift knob

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree it's personal preference. Until I bought my current car, my last 3 vehicles were manuals. One was a Honda S2000, which had a fantastic manual. After awhile, and given the nature of my commute, I went with an auto in my current G8 GXP. A lot of people would criticize getting an auto in a vehicle with a 6.2L, 415 HP engine but I haven't looked back.

So, that leads to my Jeep (which should be here next week). :dance: I test drove the manual in a 2012 JK COD and didn't care for it (again, personal preference). In addition to the long throws, which I expected, I didn't like the seating position. I'm not tall -- about 5' 8". Although I don't have to sit too close to the steering wheel usually, I had to sit very close in the Jeep given the relative positions of the accelerator and the clutch. I had to be very close to engage the clutch. But, my right leg was bent at the knee because I was much closer than felt comfortable to engage the accelerator. In other words, in an auto without a clutch, my seating position will be much farther back. I'm sure over time I would get used to it, but I just went auto.

Again, all personal preference. Test drive one and see what you think. Good luck.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's called steptronic it comes standard in the new automatics :) very easy to downshift with the slight movement of the shift knob
Yep, had the paddles on my last VW GTI 300hp/300ft-lb torque with duel clutches. They sold the auto GTI to me by telling me that it's faster then shifting manually, but that was not always true and w/o the pre-selected gears of a duel clutch the Jeep auto will be even slower to downshift, so while you're waiting for the computer to downshift it for ya I'll be done already and gone:dance:

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really like the manual transmission, but as others have said, it's different from a sports car, but IMO, it's a good thing.

It definitely takes some Getting used-to; after a week of driving the jeep, I hopped into the mustang, and was really taken aback by how stiff the clutch was, and how short the throws were comparatively(seemed totally different then what I remembered, after driving the mustang for 3 years).

Test drive both, and see what you like more.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Wow, this is a new topic....

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep, had the paddles on my last VW GTI 300hp/300ft-lb torque with duel clutches. They sold the auto GTI to me by telling me that it's faster then shifting manually, but that was not always true and w/o the pre-selected gears of a duel clutch the Jeep auto will be even slower to downshift, so while you're waiting for the computer to downshift it for ya I'll be done already and gone:dance:
I had GTI (V) which was the first series with dual clutch system. Mine was automatic, with the steptronic. The best shifter I ever had. That dual clutch in VW is something else. While it engages is gear, it already waits (in the middle) and is (very much) ready for the next gear.
By far the best system. Much better then the one from BMW.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Manual for me no questions asked. I hate driving most autos granted they are night and day improved over previous years. Yeah its a long throw, its a truck... Unless you plan on building a rock crawler, auto is easier, buy what you like. Shifting is so much FUN!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Love the manual except for one thing. I have a steep driveway, and backing the trailer up with a manual sucks since I need to ride the clutch. Maybe I need more practice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback.. I did test drive both and was still leaning towards the manual... maybe i will drive both again... think this is going to be a 'gametime' decision.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts