Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 JKUR baja yellow
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all- i was looking at a 2020 mojave gladiator and on the carfax report it had that the vehicle was a manufacturer buyback due to “CEL due to misfire/ engine light on”. the dealership told me that it went back to the manufacturer and after being unable to fix the issue the motor was swapped. it still has the full warranty. is this something that i should be concerned about? is this something that would effect resale in the future? is this something that i would be able to negotiate price or free stuff due to the carfax will follow the vehicle forever? i walked away but was wondering how other jeepers would feel about this situation.

overall it is exactly what i want and at the right price but the carfax issue made me stop in my tracks.

give me pro’s and con’s!

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
Huge issue. Value it as though it’s a salvage title, or about 60% of wholesale trade in. Most buyers will run the other way from that if you try to resell it. I’m not sure if banks will give you a loan on it either and you’d need to check with your insurance carrier before trying to add it to a policy. This is exactly why manufacturers do everything in their power to avoid the lemon brand on a title. The fact that it got to a buyback at all should send up all the red flags in the world. This is a vehicle they simply couldn’t fix, even with master techs working on it, so it’ll probably be a nightmare.

·
Registered
2015 JKUR baja yellow
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @WYN PAT thats what concerned me as well. I brought that up to the sales guy- what if i want to sell either private or dealership; how would that look. He said he had no Idea. I told him i would walk if i was a potential buyer. I didnt think about the insurance aspect either. Im curious what the issue could have been if the master techs couldnt fix it.
i already told the sales guy i will pass on this vehicle but if he can find me the exact same vehicle without the issues: i would buy.
i also test drove the rubicon and i liked the mojave a lot more. Its wierd because they are so similar.
but thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: WNY PAT

·
Registered
2020 JT Mojave Sting Gray
272 Posts
I had issues in a previous Jeep product (not Wrangler or Gladiator) that was bought back by Chrysler. They like to offer a buyback so they can still sell the vehicle at auction without having the “lemon” brand on the title. As @WNY PAT said, it’s something they couldn’t fix; so, instead of spending more time and money, it becomes cheaper just to replace the vehicle.

·
Registered
2017 JKUR 3.5" MC Kit
422 Posts
I could be wrong but the buy back is likely to avoid a lemon tag on the vehicle. Jeep probably messed around a 100 times trilying to avoid major repair, owner got fed up and threatened lemon. Jeep bought it back to avoid the label, then probably did replace the major issue (engine) in this case and here you are. Hopefully it's fine now and you can negotiate extended warranty.

if you plan on keeping it forever it's likely ok. This way you never have to worry about resale value.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I would be concerned that it might not be just the "engine" responsible for the misfire, but a PCM or something else an engine swap does not correct.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Would they buy it back, and then resell it WITHOUT fixing it? I highly doubt it.

Would the insurance company give a damn, considering that it's a fully functioning vehicle with factory warranty? No.

Could this cause the resale value to tank? I doubt it. People are looking for accidents, crashes, vandalism, damage, etc. They're looking for things that cause the vehicle to "never be right again". Having the manufacturer install a brand new engine into a nearly brand new vehicle with warranty intact isn't going to alarm anybody who actually knows vehicles....and most Jeep people know vehicles.

I'm not saying run and buy this Jeep. But I wouldn't be nearly as scared of it as some people. Try to get an excellent deal on it now and you'll get your money back later, because the people buying new Jeeps at full price right now are going to get HOSED next year when the recession strikes....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts