Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're working on purchasing a JK Sport with hard top and AC, pretty basic stuff. Invoice is $24,808. I've been working with a local dealership floor manager, so far no games outta him, gave me full disclosure on pricing and offered to sell at invoice. We didn't move on this yet for a variety of reasons however I'm glad we haven't.

Found what we wanted at a dealer a bit over 100 miles away (has 3 in stock), we're finally ready to pull the trigger and when I checked to make sure they still have them in stock found they are advertising these for $21,803 right about 12% below invoice.

I emailed the local guy, he's off today so I'll not hear back until tomorrow.

Thought I'd ask if anyone here knows of any manufacturer - dealer rebates or incentives going on, maybe that explains it? Could also be explained by dealer shenanigans ($1000 wax job, $1000 super armor fabric protectant, $500 nitrogen tire fill...that kinda B.S.).

Just trying to get as much information as I can about what this might be, if there's some manufacture - dealer incentive money involved I should expect my local guy to do a better deal than invoice.. If however the other dealership is playing games, well I'd rather not deal with that.

Thanks for any tips/advice on this situation.. If I'm not convinced the local guy is up and up, I'll have to start over with the dealership 100+miles away... not looking forward to vetting another sales person ;-)

·
Registered
202 Posts
We're working on purchasing a JK Sport with hard top and AC, pretty basic stuff. Invoice is $24,808. I've been working with a local dealership floor manager, so far no games outta him, gave me full disclosure on pricing and offered to sell at invoice. We didn't move on this yet for a variety of reasons however I'm glad we haven't.

Found what we wanted at a dealer a bit over 100 miles away (has 3 in stock), we're finally ready to pull the trigger and when I checked to make sure they still have them in stock found they are advertising these for $21,803 right about 12% below invoice.

I emailed the local guy, he's off today so I'll not hear back until tomorrow.

Thought I'd ask if anyone here knows of any manufacturer - dealer rebates or incentives going on, maybe that explains it? Could also be explained by dealer shenanigans ($1000 wax job, $1000 super armor fabric protectant, $500 nitrogen tire fill...that kinda B.S.).

Just trying to get as much information as I can about what this might be, if there's some manufacture - dealer incentive money involved I should expect my local guy to do a better deal than invoice.. If however the other dealership is playing games, well I'd rather not deal with that.

Thanks for any tips/advice on this situation.. If I'm not convinced the local guy is up and up, I'll have to start over with the dealership 100+miles away... not looking forward to vetting another sales person ;-)
Could be shenanigans. Check to make sure there isn't an asterisk after the price to the extent of (includes all applicable rebates), of which you most likely don't qualify. Best bet is to email them and ask for their best OTD price INCLUDING dealer fees.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no fine print evident on the site:

MSRP: $25,580
Dealer Discount: $3,777
Sale Price: $21,803
Net Cost: $21,803

I'm going to wait for my local guy to get back to me. I'm leaning towards it being dealer BS, 12% below invoice seems too good to be true.

·
Premium Member
3,182 Posts
I'd read all the fine print at the bottom. I bet at the very bottom there is something like this:* The estimated selling price that appears after calculating dealer offers is for informational purposes, only. You may not qualify for the offers, incentives, discounts, or financing. Offers, incentives, discounts, or financing are subject to expiration and other restrictions. See dealer for qualifications and complete details.

There is manufacturer to dealer incentive based on the individual dealer hitting their monthly quota set by Chrysler. Max money back is $400 on Wranglers this month, could be the same next month or could go back down to $200.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only thing I'm finding a the bottom of the page is this:

Prices plus govt. fees and taxes, any finance charges, any dealer document processing charge, any electronic filing charge, and any emissions testing charge.
I suppose they could pad those fees, but nearly $4k?

For reference here's a link to an example: 2014 Jeep Wrangler 4WD 2dr Sport

Could be somewhere else on the site it has some blanket disclaimer that boils down to "these prices are complete BS".

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
You know that if you went to someplace like Fields CDJ, where Patrick works, they will sell you a jeep at 2% BELOW dealer invoice with no haggling, right? If you join TreadLightly, any dealer who participates in the Chrysler Affiliates program will give you 1% below invoice, no haggle prices.

When I bought my '14 back in September, I was able to negotiate 5% +$100 below dealer invoice, which was basically EP (employee pricing), if you saw that on the invoice your salesman showed you for the jeep you are interested in.

Deals can be had, you just have to work for them. :happyyes:

Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think my questions has been answered, sure sounds like there are no incentives/rebates that could legitimately justify 12% below invoice.

Thanks for the feedback/info.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Compare the actual window stickers on each of these Jeeps and see if you are really getting the same thing on each

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Compare the actual window stickers on each of these Jeeps and see if you are really getting the same thing on each
??? Not sure what you're suggesting, I checked vs. what jeep.com shows, VIN's match and I would presume jeep.com's information as far as configuration of the vehicles they sent to this dealer is correct.

I looked over other inventory at this dealer and all wranglers show similar 'discounts', higher amounts for more expensive models. I'm pretty sure there is no way they could sell at 12% below invoice and stay solvent, so there must be a lot of hidden costs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Most dealer web sites actually have the window sticker for the jeep you want avaliable for viewing

the link for the jeep you posted has it

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
When I bought my '14 back in September, I was able to negotiate 5% +$100 below dealer invoice, which was basically EP (employee pricing),
Seems that every market is different... I have emailed about ~10 dealerships in metro Detroit asking for basically 5% off Invoice (plus taxes, title registration) and I have yet to find one that is willing to do it.
I do have supplier discount, which is 1% below invoice, but I want 5% below invoice!
I think the problem in metro detroit is that they sell enough of these to employees and the employee pricing, so no need to cut there profits by selling at "employee price" to a non-employee

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seems that every market is different... I have emailed about ~10 dealerships in metro Detroit asking for basically 5% off Invoice (plus taxes, title registration) and I have yet to find one that is willing to do it.
I do have supplier discount, which is 1% below invoice, but I want 5% below invoice!
I think the problem in metro detroit is that they sell enough of these to employees and the employee pricing, so no need to cut there profits by selling at "employee price" to a non-employee
How do you figure 5% off invoice is a reasonable price? As I understand it dealer holdback is 3% MSRP, 5% off invoice would likely eat up all that 'built in profit' then add in flooring costs (if it's on the lot). Dealers are in a business to make money after all, and I don't begrudge them making an honest living.. honest being the key.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Market is definitely a factor. Back in Florida in 2012 when we bought Mike's jeep, 2.5% below invoice was the best we could do.

How do you figure 5% off invoice is a reasonable price? As I understand it dealer holdback is 3% MSRP, 5% off invoice would likely eat up all that 'built in profit' then add in flooring costs (if it's on the lot). Dealers are in a business to make money after all, and I don't begrudge them making an honest living.. honest being the key.
My pricing was based on a custom sold order, so the dealer didn't have any flooring costs. Unless they have costs by the hour. I picked mine up about four hours after it was delivered! I couldn't wait! :D

Lots of dealers are willing to go a little lower, if they are making money back based on total number of units sold, vs. profit per unit.

My dealership probably made zero on my order, but since they were able to beat my preapproved finance rate from PenFed, they made money on financing. I thought that was a fair trade off.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
..snip..Lots of dealers are willing to go a little lower, if they are making money back based on total number of units sold, vs. profit per unit.
Even with no flooring costs 5% off invoice looks to me like a loss... no profit at all they could sell 500 at that and it would just be more of a less. You mentioned 2.5% and I could see a dealer doing that.. in particular if your giving them a chance to make money elsewhere. The post I was commenting on was complaining about dealers not being willing to do 5% less than invoice and I'm simply trying to figure out how the could possibly to that at all.
My dealership probably made zero on my order, but since they were able to beat my preapproved finance rate from PenFed, they made money on financing. I thought that was a fair trade off.
Possibly a lot.. I always keep financing and trades out of the deal until a price is set, it's very easy for things to get confusing very fast and that's what alot of salespeople rely on. As I get older I try to keep things simpler ;-)

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Possibly a lot.. I always keep financing and trades out of the deal until a price is set, it's very easy for things to get confusing very fast and that's what alot of salespeople rely on. As I get older I try to keep things simpler ;-)
Me, too. That's why I won't deal with anyone, any method except email until the final price has been agreed upon. I don't talk trade or finance until after the deposit has been made and I have a signed POC.

I took my trade in for kicks and giggles and just sold it to Carmax when the dealer lowballed me. I never talked to them about financing in advance. I had a draft in my pocket to pay for the jeep when they asked to beat my rate. I never thought they could, but when they did I was happy enough to give them the business. :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me, too. That's why I won't deal with anyone, any method except email until the final price has been agreed upon. I don't talk trade or finance until after the deposit has been made and I have a signed POC.

I took my trade in for kicks and giggles and just sold it to Carmax when the dealer lowballed me. I never talked to them about financing in advance. I had a draft in my pocket to pay for the jeep when they asked to beat my rate. I never thought they could, but when they did I was happy enough to give them the business. :)
Sound advice.. It amazes me that salespeople keep using the same slimy tricks. You'd think people would avail themselves of all the information that's readily available. If they did we'd finally rid the market of these tricks, but alas.. too many people are either too lazy or need to have everything spoon fed to them.

Oh well, they're not putting one over on the likes of us!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Sound advice.. It amazes me that salespeople keep using the same slimy tricks. You'd think people would avail themselves of all the information that's readily available. If they did we'd finally rid the market of these tricks, but alas.. too many people are either too lazy or need to have everything spoon fed to them.

Oh well, they're not putting one over on the likes of us!
True!

Just have to learn the dance... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Be cautious of the "cheaper" dealerships, I was in a similar situation and went to a dealership 100 miles away and when it came time to talk numbers they stated their price online was to get people in the door and attempted to charge me more than $3000 over their e-price. I am a member with treadlightly and once I pulled out my Chrysler rewards number I was able to purchase the Jeep for less than their e-price. If you don't know treadlightly will get you 2% under invoice for $100.00 donation fee.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in communication with the dealer to try and figure out what the scam is. Guy claims that ALL of the 2 door wranglers they have are loss leaders and the make money on the 4 door.. Er.. not sure how he thinks the term loss leader applies unless they think they're going to sell everyone on a 4 door, financing, extended warranties, etc..

Still trying to get a full out the door cost break down, see what fees they tack on..etc... In my experience that usually takes 4/5 back and forth emails on scummy dealers.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts