Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The symptom is that it runs really rough when I first start it. I give it a good amount of gas for about three+ minutes and it runs a little better. I also smell gas when I run it. Once I get it running, it has a tendency to make a backfire sound at higher revs.

I did the key trick to get the code and it came up with 13. I checked that as being MAP sensor related. I popped the hood and noticed that there was a vacuum hose that was missing and also a wire that isn't plugged in. I'm not sure if this would be the cause of my rough running issue but I figure it's a good place to start.

Does this seem like it would be the cause?
It looks like I am going to have to order the vacuum line. Does anyone know what the part # is.

On the wire that connects to the MAP sensor, it appears to be missing the rubber boot. I assume I will have to replace that as well. Does anyone know that part #.

Picture is below.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The MAP sensor will make it run rough. The rubber boot just keeps the water out. The little plastics hose looks fine all you need to do is hook it back up into he little rubber plug. That's to the left of he green connector.

·
Registered
925 Posts

x2 on what Allmud said

I can't really tell from the pic, but is the large elbow connector coming out of the top of the engine block connected to anything? It should be if it is not and should not be blocked in anyway.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not connected. From what I can tell, there should be a rubber hose going from it to the air filter chamber.

·
Registered
925 Posts
It's not connected. From what I can tell, there should be a rubber hose going from it to the air filter chamber.
I believe that the one further back on the engine block should have a vac line running to the intake manifold (the big silver thing) and the valve that is closest to the front of the jeep on top of the engine block should have a vac line running to the air filter. Those things are pressure control valves (PCVs) and they help bleed off excess pressure from the engine block. If they are clogged or not working properly you can actually blow out your dipstick and lose a bunch of oil.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You can pick up the MAP sensor anywhere. They are like $60. Get one if that is the code you are getting. I replaced mine a while back and it fixed it right up. Those error codes are pretty accurate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it was actually as simple as plugging in the wire to the boot. It started up fine and there was no hesitation. It's still loud because the muffler is rusted but its like having a new car. I just bought it three weeks ago and have been trying to chase down the hesitation issue the entire time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts