Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Does anyone have a pic of the throtle body with their air cleaner off. I've had hard starting and other issues for a long time now and like a true jeeper, I drove through it.

I think it might be my map sensor.

I used to wheel in alot of mud and water. For a while when ever it rained the night before or if it was raining hard and the Squirrel cage known as a 2.5L was cold it wounldn't start. A couple years ago I changed the coil and that seem to work for a while. I change the O2 sensor last night and the hard stating continued, But anything that will help save on gas is my friend now!!!
I've read some posts that said some related things so I wanted to see what you folks thought?

Oh a price would be great!

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
This is just one thing to check. Have you cleaned out the throttle body lately? If not, get some Barryman's carb cleaner, and spray the heck out of your throttle body, with the engine running. You can even dump a can of it, in your fuel tank, as it will clean out everything. It will also increase your octane, and is very good to do. Also your sensors can be cleaned as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bluviking,
No I haven't but it really needs it....and I was looking for some good stuff too.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
That is the only cleaner, additive that I would recommend. It has been around for a long time, and the best part is, IT WORKS!! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe this will help. Essentially when the engine is cold I have to crank it for 10-15 secs stop for one second and start cranking again, It usually stars the second time with only about 3-4 turn overs. Before I change the coil I had to do this process three times. And of course forget about it when it rained...I would Kill the battery trying to start it.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
sounds maybe like a fuel pump. With out starting the engine turn the key to run let it sit for 1 sec then go back to off do this a few times then try to start the engine if it starts right away it's your fuel pump.:D

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Sahara is right, sound more like a fuel pump. If you were having problems running after you got it started, then I'd look at the IAC or MAP sensor. But to me its sounding like the fuel pump. Get ready for price shock.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can hear the pump when I turn the ignition on. It's not loud or anything I just hear the little 1 second hum.

What do you think now?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
just because you hear it doesn't mean it's building up the proper psi. Try the on and off with the key a few times then start it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sahara, thanks for the feedback!! I have actually had this hard starting issue for a long time...Years. Its a 97 and I bought it in 99.

·
Registered
75 Posts
so no one knows where the map sensor is? i cant find it, looked for days on line. Not one forum has its location. Can anyone answer the original question?

·
Registered
208 Posts
On my 2.5L the MAP Sensor is located on the drivers side of the throttle body. Black plug, Its closest to the fender when you take the air box off and are looking directly at the tb.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts