Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a pair of waterproof JL speakers and now I realize I'll need to build an enclosure for them. I'm mostly into metal fab'in now but I'm not sure of the sound quality . Just for the hell of it I placed one of the speakers in a empty paint can and it sounded aweful, which either means it'll need to be thick steel or made of wood.
I'm not an audio guy so I need some advice

·
Registered
681 Posts
Are they a 6.5" speaker? Why not use them to replace your soundbar speakers. If they are too deep, you can get 1/2" or 1" spacers to make them fit.

If you did build an enclosure, you should use Medium Density Fiberboard, 1/2" or 3/4" is the standard for subwoofer enclosures.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's to complicated to explain why I can't use the factory speaker mounts but I can't .. The only problem is that they will get soaked repeatedly and that stuff does not do well wet.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's your jeep, your sound. If you want to use metal, go for it, but it will sound like shit. If you're worried about it getting wet, make the box out of MDF, then seal it with fiberglass resin... bedliner may work, but not as well as fiberglass resin would, plus when you're done with the fiberglassing, you can sand it down and paint it so it looks good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts