Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

A while ago I posted about swapping in a 302 marine engine into my 1999 TJ. I have finally hunted down all the parts that I'm going to need. But I'm not sure which engine mounts I should use. The ones recommended on advanced adapters say that they fit up to a 27 inch frame width, but the TJ's front frame is 29.5 inches across. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding my motor mount situation? (Please no "swap in something different comments")

Thank you!

Dugen Pippenger

·
Registered
690 Posts
I’d either weld on 1.25” extensions or have new mounts fabricated. Do the mounts you have bolt to the existing mounts, or do you have to cut the OEM mounts off and weld in the new ones?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually don't have any mounts yet, I wanted to get a better idea of my options before I went and bought them. I did some measurements and it looks like I will be able to keep my transmission in the same place, are you saying their are mounts that utilize the OEM ones and just extends them to meet the V8s location

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have no idea, but I’d be very surprised if there were mounts made for this specific conversion. I think your best bet will be to get everything where you want it using an engine hoist or jack & 2x8 under the oil pan to support the engine, and mock up the engine mounts using cardboard. Bend/weld them up, bolt/tack them in place, and check all your measurements, clearances, and angles. Don’t forget axle-oil pan clearance at full suspension compression.

Pirate4x4 is a great site for swap info and help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi NH2112,

I think that would be a good option. Would it be a good idea to extend off the stock (inline 4) engine mounts or would it be best to just make new ones right to the frame?

I am surprised that there are no premade engine mounts for this swap. I thought that 302 swaps were fairly common. The marine aspect of the block doesn't change mounting points or anything like that so I was hoping for some sort of weld in solution.

I am not really a fan of pirate4x4, I have not had the greatest experience there in the past.

Thanks for the advice, I will post more as the project moves forward. I'm currently gutting the interior, as I am doing a body swap while I have the old girl apart.

Duke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts