Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if I can legally run 35"s on my jeep wrangler with a fender delete in Massachusetts? I'm not worried about inspection as much I can just put my fenders back on for that and play the game, but can I get pulled over and ticketed for have no fenders or tires that stick out past the fenders or body panels?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Nope. As for being ticketed, that will depend on the mood of the cop.

In fact, they have got very anal about small lifts too.

There is a reason I don't live there anymore.

·
Retired Moderator
100,675 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anyone know if I can legally run 35"s on my jeep wrangler with a fender delete in Massachusetts?
Have to say I'm at a complete and utter loss as to why anyone would want to drive around with 4 large, exposed tires throwing all manner of road shit all over everyone else's car.....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have to say I'm at a complete and utter loss as to why anyone would want to drive around with 4 large, exposed tires throwing all manner of road shit all over everyone else's car.....
Spoken by a true Californian.......

Attachments

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
This state does truly suck.....

I put my Sahara stocker wheel/rims on for sticker as my 315's are questionably over-worn I didn't want a hassle.... The guy called his boss who came out and looked and I heard him say, "Fenders look fine, go ahead..."...

The guy pulled out of the bay and I had my sticker... then he gets out of the Jeep and it rolls a few feet as my E-Brake sucks.... lol, he hopped in, turned it off in gear and with a red face hands me the keys.... going to fix this in the summer......

Also, life pro tip (besides moving outta Mass) in the shitty climates... timing stickers in the summer months is much better than having to do shit last minute in the winter....

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think with Fender delete, you don't make it a day with being pulled over and towed. At least in Holden, MA. With a State Police Barack and being a regional school district, in the 20 years I've lived here, I can't remember a day where I didn't pass or get passed by a LEO whenever I head on out for the day. Two or three times a week, they have a customer on Main St.

I drove a small sprinter van with a magnetic sign two or three times a month. Two tickets over a 3 month period for commercial signage without a commercial plate. The van was mostly personal use, but occasionally got used to deliver a bicycle or two and the signage was for a local bicycle store. Ended up just putting commercial plates on it and living with the restrictions when using it for personal use. Just pointing out that they don't miss a thing.

Now, if you're only an inch or so outside of fenders, you might get away with it, just not at inspection time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Technically, the fender has to cover the tire. Look up 540 CMR 4.04 (12) (c). Altered height is allowed and you have to do math. See above and just go down to (13) which points to 540 CMR 6.00. Download that. It gives a calculation based on wheelbase, track for four wheel drive vehicles as to how high the vehicle can be lifted.

In practice, it'll be up to the cop to decide to hassle you or not. I've never had a problem but my lift is only a couple inches with 295's. For inspections, I put on my OEM wheels/tires. The inspectors have cameras in the bay that the RMV can watch so they want to at least look like they're doing everything and that everything is legal.

I've gone through Holden a lot (we wheel private land in Rutland) and never had an issue, but I do hear the cops there can be sticklers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I have mud flaps to prevent damage to other cars but my friend in another state failed his inspection for having his tire stick out 3 inches past the body panel and for no fenders, I was just wondering if the same applied in Massachusetts because I like his look and am interested in doing a similar style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts