Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning my gear swap with ARB locker for the D35. Currently the YJ has 145k miles mostly road miles. Very little abuse or off-road use. Would I need or do you suggest new bearings that come with the master rebuild kits? Are there any better brands to get or stay away from. I see the prices vary for the kits.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found a master rebuild kit from Rough Country on craiglist $40.00 Those are $140 new. I am going to get it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Found a master rebuild kit from Rough Country on craiglist $40.00 Those are $140 new. I am going to get it.
Don't do it... First off who is doing the install?

If a shop they will want to supply the parts you need, this is a good idea. If anything fails it's on them, you supply parts they can very easily blame the parts you supplied.

Second... buying these kind of parts on Craiglist probably not a good idea. Do you really know what parts belong in this kit? does it list all the part numbers so you can research what you are looking at? Did the seller exchange used parts for new?

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
never buy cheap bearings.

And you need new bearings anyways you will more than likely f-up the old ones trying to remove them and it's not worth it. The D35 is really simple when it comes to adjusting backlash since the shims are on the outside. You can press the brand new bearings onto tho carrier and not even have to worry about removing them to readjust shims. All you do is press them on and you are done. You can throw the old carrier with the old bearings right into the trash.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't do it...

Second... buying these kind of parts on Craiglist probably not a good idea. Do you really know what parts belong in this kit? does it list all the part numbers so you can research what you are looking at? Did the seller exchange used parts for new?
The install kit was in a sealed box.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
never buy cheap bearings.

And you need new bearings anyways you will more than likely f-up the old ones trying to remove them and it's not worth it. The D35 is really simple when it comes to adjusting backlash since the shims are on the outside. You can press the brand new bearings onto tho carrier and not even have to worry about removing them to readjust shims. All you do is press them on and you are done. You can throw the old carrier with the old bearings right into the trash.

I'm going to have a gear shop install the arb locker and all other parts. I'm a fairly good shade tree mechanic. But I think I'll pay a experience person who has the correct tools.

Reactions: Cornchip
1 - 6 of 6 Posts