Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for new tires and saw the mastercraft courser mxt. Does any of you guys have experience with these tires?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can't speak first hand just yet but will be able to soon. I have a new set of 315/70/17's in garage that I'm going to be installing this week, along with a lift. I've heard a lot of good things about these tires. They look really nice!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Alright seeming as no one else has experience to offer I'll share my two cents. After searching and searching for the right tire, I came down on these. I have roughly 2-3 thousand miles on them so far, and they are on a DD rig. Got them in 295/70/17 on Level 8 Trackers. I chose these tires for a few reasons. First off all, the price point on these tires is impeccable for what they offer, especially compared to similar tires in this size. Well worth it in my opinion. I'm down here in Florida, and I'll primarily be doing mudding. No rocks to be found in these parts. So obviously the mud terrain was the way to go. That being said, I was looking around, and it really came down to these and the Cooper STT Pro's for me. Both similar tires, in face I think the MXTs may be the old STTs, if not very similar. I chose the MXTs mainly for the price, and I don't need to dump that much money into a Weekend Warrior... yet. So price, tire type, and the overall quality, which is kind of a post purchase feeling. After receiving these tires, I can't help but think they won't last me a good amount of time. Obviously time will tell, but I have high expectations for these.
Alright.
Now comes the good stuff.
First Impression. It's a big tire. Trust me. I packed five of them in my JKU on the way down to school. (NH -> FL) It was tight. The tread on my tires are 19/32ths I believe. It was quite a drastic difference from the stock 17s my rig came with. There are large voids between the blocks to clean out the tires, stud holes if you need them. I don't think I need to describe much more of the tread pattern, Google is your friend there. But they look a lot beefier in person. They're mean looking, they give the Jeep a nice look. I'll throw pictures in later. They're pretty average when it comes to weight. Amazon specs put it at 58 lbs. I'd say that's about right.
So I drive a 2012 JKU, Auto, 3.21, D33 front and D40 rear. No lift... again, yet. The wheels are Level 8 Trackers, 17x8.5, 4.5" BS. Brought everything over to (insert name brand tire shop here) and had everything installed new. A couple things to mention here. These tires look beautiful on these rims. Love the look I have. Tire size and bs gave a very moderate stance, but it's noticeable. The combo took no more than 3.5 oz. to balance. I was just as impressed as the guys at the shop. Apart from that the install was pretty clean, no major issues except for a rusty tie rod that some WD40 and elbow grease took care of. They're inflated at 35 PSI (or whatever it says on the door, I'll check when I get home and measure for size under load)
All that being said, I am thoroughly impressed with these tires. On road they handle excellent. Dry and wet traction is excellent. I don't think I've had them slip once in the rain down here. They steer straight pretty well. Mine do pull right, but I think that's more of an alignment issue. They were aligned on install but had some offroad time that I think kicked the alignment off slightly. Nonetheless, on-road traction is phenomenal. They're just the right volume if you ask me. Doors off on the highway, they're loud. Windows up radio on, you'll hardly notice if at all. But not over bearing. In fact I quite like the sound of them. They're great stopping as well, haven't had any problems there. Off road, man do I love them. They've seen mud (both dirt and clay) and hard packed and loose sand trails. In the slop they perform better than I could ask for. They haven't been pushed too hard yet, but these tires give a great sense of confidence when it comes to muddy terrain. In fact I get a little giddy to use them in the mud. 10/10 there. On the hard packed sand trails, they perform well. No issues there. Where I have noticed them slip is on loose sand. Not too much, nothing that made me worry. Keep in mind I didn't air down. Having done so, I think I would've been fine. I've yet to take them on the beach, I'm eager to do so. And we're still awaiting the first snow here in FL, so no comments there either. But off road, these tires make you confident and excited to hit the trails.
I haven't noticed any wear on the tread yet, as I said I've only had them for 2-3K miles. I expect them to hold pretty well. Traction on and off road is excellent for what I need. They look and perform great. If I didn't mention, I got 5 @ $234 ish a piece. A local shop price matched TreadDepot including shipping. Overall I'm a huge fan of these tires. If you need something that you can drive to work Mon-Fri, the trails on Saturday and Sunday, these are an excellent choice. OH. I did have to trim my air dam for rubbing. We cut along the edge of the bigger inner portion for a nice clean look. I can post pictures if anybody wants. Hope this was a bit more info than anybody needed. I know I wanted all I could get during my research. I'll post some pics and measurements later. If anybody has any questions, lemme know.:happyyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
JeepPilot,

I know this is an old post but I was wondering how well the tread has been holding up. I have the Cooper Discoverer STT and they have held up well over the past year and half here in the Panhandle. I need a 5th tire and Cooper has gone to the STT Pro. I'm considering this tire. They are made by Cooper and they look like an exact match to the STT.

Filicajun

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run a set of LT305/55/20's on my 3/4 ton pick up. Not only do I really like how they look, tread wear has been excellent. As aggressive as they are, road noise is noticeable, but definitely not overwhelming. I have run them for about 8,000 miles with almost no signs of wear. When the time comes to replace them, I fully intend to go with the same tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts