Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What' up Wrangler Forum. I am brand new to jeeps and so far am loving it. I recently purchased a 2012 Sport Unlimited and I use it as my daily driver. I have a very addictive personality so i figured I would log everything I do and post the resources. As far as skill I have never done any work on any car so I am an Extreme Beginner.

Here she is the first day I got her. The jeep came with a Smittybilt SRC Bumper along with a set of Smittybilt side steps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the end of week one I was itching so i had to add some fog lights, grab handles, nubby antenna and replace all of the factory paper speakers. I purchased the kicker 77kick10 (http://tinyurl.com/nw229vr) the Hella 500 foglights (http://tinyurl.com/oqt9rhq) rugged ridge front and rear handles(Amazon.com: Rugged Ridge 13505.04 Ultimate Black Grab Handle - Pair: Automotive) and Antenna X 13" (Amazon.com: AntennaX Off-Road (13-inch) Antenna for (07 thru 15) Jeep Wrangler JK: Automotive)

For the Fog lights we spliced into the the marker lights so i could have them come on every time I turn on the lights. This made the install very simple.

For the Kickers i followed this video and got it done in about 2 hours. https://youtu.be/bF9yrus9kYA
There is no need to take the dash completely apart.

The grab handles and antenna are pretty self explanatory.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After way too much research I decided on some tires. I went with the BF Goodrich KO2 size 285/70/17. I have the 3.21 gear ratio so 35's would have been a nightmare. I have noticed the jeep hunts for gears sometimes but overall i have not lost any mileage. I plan on getting a tuner and calibrating here shortly just to fine tune everything. Love the beefier look of these tires.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the Jeep went up this weekend. After a lot of reading I decided on the RC Series II budget boost. It's my daily driver so I wanted to keep it feeling as close to stock as i could. I also replaced the factory shocks with Rubicon Express (Billstein 5100 were back ordered and these are the same). The total install took about 4 hours and i love it. If i were to do the lift over it would probably take about 2 hours. Personally I think it rides better than it did before the lift.

My only problem now is I dont have plans for anything else right now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So pretty much as soon as i got 33's i knew i would end up getting 35's. One month goes by and now i have 35's. As soon as the new tires went on i dipped the wheel, I dipped a few other things as well to add some accent colors as well as get rid of the orange corner light. The red by the windshield is no longer on the jeep. The hinge in between it is and looks awesome. Its like a whole new jeep. Now I need some help on what to do next.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bought the flashpaq and tuned it to the mileage saver. My MPG has actually improved over stock with no lift and small tires. The jeep is also more responsive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
One of the best things I've done to the jeep is remove the carpet and do the liner inside !!! My jeep has been topless for the past 5 months I live in Miami so it rains all the time . Herculiner in Amazon

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you regear it when you went to 35"s? If not how is it with 3.21 gears?
I did not re-gear. I currently have 3.21 and it seems fine for what i do. On the highway I am passing cars going about 75/80 mph. I don't do a lot of hill climbing so not sure about that yet.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Wow! seems to fly in the face of the majority on this forum that says 3.21 gears are virtually impossible to run 35"s. I'll let you know when I get my jeep, going to do the same thing. I'm sure regearing will help but curious to see how "bad" 3.21 gears really are with 35"s with just normal driving.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! seems to fly in the face of the majority on this forum that says 3.21 gears are virtually impossible to run 35"s. I'll let you know when I get my jeep, going to do the same thing. I'm sure regearing will help but curious to see how "bad" 3.21 gears really are with 35"s with just normal driving.
I originally went with 33's because of everything I read in this thread. The power didnt change so i figured why not 35's. I did add the Flashpag though which i felt did add a little power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts