Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone. I own a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited in flame red that I've had for 2 years named Maverick. I haven't really considered modding it until about 8 or 9 months ago when I watched some Jeep rock crawling videos. After that, I was hooked. I knew it was exactly the type of stuff I wanted to do with my Jeep. I have Brad from TrailRecon to thank for hooking me on this ungodly expensive hobby, though I'm very glad he did.

I'm the type of person that prefers to plan, research, and save as much as possible before going through with anything. I prefer not to jump right in. So about half a year ago I started surfing Extreme Terrain's website and going through each of the tabs. I'd Google every part that I didn't recognize so I could understand the world of aftermarket parts a little bit better. Anyway, long story short, I've done enough research to know what I want, and need, to do (mostly...) to make my Jeep the best it can be. Despite this, input and suggestions into the build would be greatly appreciated, because I SURE don't know everything yet!

Anyway, enough babble and on to the build.

Right now my Jeep is completely stock, other than the stickers of where I've taken it (Durango, Colorado; Big Bend; the Grand Tetons; and Yellowstone), an American flag sticker, and a Gadsden flag tire cover on the spare. I'm still on the OEM Sahara 18" wheels and the stock 31" Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. Those have GOT to go. It has the stock paint-matched roof and paint-matched fenders as well, all in flame red. I unfortunately didn't have crazy off-roading in mind when I first got the jeep a few years back, so I got the Sahara instead of the Rubicon. Oh well, nothing that can't be fixed.

So since I first got hooked watching crawling videos, I've started setting a bit of money aside each month as I decided what I wanted to do with my build and researched as much as I can. I compiled a list of things I DEFINITELY want and that are high priority and finally opened the wallet yesterday.

Here's what I ordered:

-BFGoodrich A/T KO2 tires in 315/75R16
-Mammoth Boulder 16x8 wheels in black
-Red center cap inserts for the wheels to match the Jeep
-Teraflex 2.5 in. lift with shocks, coil springs, and steering stabilizer
-Bushwacker flat-style black fender flares
-RedRock stubby front bumper with stinger bar and winch mount
-RedRock HD rear bumper
-Raxiom LED Headlights
-MorRyde heavy duty tailgate hinges
-HD tire carrier replacement
-RedRock cold air intake
-Shorter antenna
-Red D-ring shackles for the bumpers
-Also will paint the front grill black

Most of the items listed above have not ended up in the final build. This was the original build list and plans have changed as I've opted for a more steady, quality build.

All of these should be arriving within the next few days from Extreme Terrain and the tires from 4wd. They have amazing prices on the KO2's. I'm getting a shop to install the lift and the lights, since that's a bit above my pay grade, but a buddy and I will be installing the rest. I'll be sure to keep you all updated!

Here's what I have planned for further down the line, roughly, but not surely, ordered by necessity:

-Regearing to 4.56 (those Sahara 3.12 stock gears need to go with 35's)
-Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust
-Some decals
-Beefier front adjustable trackbar
-Mirrors for when I take the doors off
-Better hood catch kit
-Way to beef up the D30 axle in the front, suggestions would be great
-And whatever you all suggest too!

Plans have also changed for the down-the-line items since then as well. I will have an updated list of things I plan to add.

I will keep you all updated and post lots of pictures as the build progresses and I purchase more things. Can't wait, let me know what you think!

THE BUILD LIST:

Stage 1: (COMPLETE)

Red = Complete

Teraflex 3 inch lift kit w/ stabilizer
Bilstein 5100 monotube shocks
BFGoodrich KO2’s in 315/75R16
Mammoth Boulder 16x8 black wheels
Teraflex black spline lug nut kit
13 inch stubby antenna replacement
Steer Smarts YETI front adjustable track bar
Teraflex Alpine front lower control arms

Stage 2: (function and my must-haves)

MORryde Heavy Duty tailgate hinges
JWSpeaker 8700 Evolution J2 series Carbon Fiber headlights
Paint silver bumper accents black until replaced
Regearing to 4.56 Gear ratio, front and rear
ARB Rear Dana 44 Air locker
ARB on-board air system w/ tire gauge
ARB Black differential covers w/ lube locker
SPOD 6-Switch system w/ rocker switches
Warn VR10-S winch w/ synthetic rope
Crawler Concepts Ultra front bumper w/ bar
Mopar Rubicon rock-rail slider take-off
Banks Ram-Air cold air intake system
Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust

Stage 3: (cosmetics and lesser essentials)

Rugged Ridge Hurricane Flares, paint matched
Mopar Hard Rock rear bumper take-off
Mopar Hard Rock paint-matched hood take-off
Quadratec aluminum skid plates
Ace Engineering rock sliders and steps
Rugged Ridge Hood catch kit, black
Teraflex HD rear tire carrier replacement
MetalCloak extended brake line kits
JKS Front swaybar disconnects

Stage 4: (hopes and dreams)

Steer Smarts YETI XD Tie Rod assembly
Steer Smarts YETI XD top-mount drag link
Steer Smarts Griffin XD attenuator
(^Unless Steer Smarts releases a YETI Rear track-bar...)
Dyantrac ProRock Dana 44 front axle
Re-gear to 4.88 gear ratio
Adams front and rear driveshafts
Freshly powdercoat underside components
MetalCloak 3.5" Game Changer lift with 6Paks
17" Wheels to accommodate big brakes (undecided)
37" Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's
Teraflex Big Brake Kit

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what it looks like now. I wanted to take pictures yesterday, but it was raining, so I decided to wait till today. But... Louisiana weather being as it is, it rained anyway. So screw it, here's some pictures in the rain. It has about 30,000 miles on it and, quite frankly, looks quite nice stock!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first package has arrived - Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD Tire Carrier, and MAN is it heavy duty. UPS shipping said the whole thing weighed 30 pounds. It's solid steel, or so I assume its steel, and is very well made. I won't be installing it until everything has arrived by next week so I can't yet attest to its fit or function, but good impressions so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got off the phone with 4wd about the tires I ordered. I got an email that my message was received, and to check back in 24 hours or so for shipping and tracking information. Try 120 hours. It's been 5 days and still no tracking information. So I call 4wd customer service and get a sassy customer service person and they tell me that the order hasn't even been shipped yet. I guess that's fine, it is what it is. But I have an appointment in 4 days for the lift to be installed and the tires to be mounted, balanced, and put on the car. So that throws things off a little. Anyway, so I ask her when they'll be shipped and she says the estimated time of shipping will be July 7.

July friggin 7th. No, it won't be at my door by July 7th. It'll be leaving their warehouse. That's 3 weeks for them just to ship, so pretty much a month for them to arrive to my house. The website had no indication that it would take a month for the tires to get to my door, otherwise I would have ordered elsewhere. The tires said they were in stock.

I'm frustrated. Anyway, the bumper, hinges, air intake, and center caps arrived yesterday and everything looks good. I'm happy with it so far, very heavy duty. I'm just gonna be driving around on a lifted Jeep who's shoes are 4 sizes too small for 2 weeks.

Life goes on!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I always forget to include something in my messages. I'd also like to install some rocker guards and a winch, but those just completely slipped my mind in the original post. I also want to put some LED pods in relatively inconspicuous places. I'm not a big fan of the huge light bars everywhere (though I must admit, they look awesome when they're turned on at night).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I've got a few updates. I had scheduled for my lift to be installed tomorrow, but a few days ago I checked UPS and realized that my lift kit itself was arriving on tomorrow. The UPS guy always ends up hitting my house toward the end of his shift, like 4 or 5 PM, and my Jeep was scheduled to go into the shop at 9:00 a.m. I went ahead and decided to postpone the installation of the lift until my tires arrive (which should be around July 13, given that they don't ship until July 7), but the place couldn't fit me in until July 18. I would rather wait a bit longer and get it looking how I want rather than having it look weird for a while.

I'm getting real tired of waiting, man, I swear... And now it's almost another month!

Anyway, I decided to go ahead and place an order on some sway bar quick disconnects so I don't have that pain when going off-road. I was tempted to spend the last of my money on some beefier track bars, but I decided that those can wait and I need to save for re-gearing. I should be able to get it re-geared before summer's over. Along with the sway bar disconnects, I ordered a matte black hood decal.

I also realized that the RedRock stuff I purchased is built overseas and is sort of a Smittybilt knockoff. I'm a bit disappointed, but it's really hard to tell what's name brand and what's not. From here on, I'm going to try my best to keep my business American. I'm still impressed by the quality of the Red Rock bumpers - they're very well-made and solid. I can't complain.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have good news and I have bad news. Good news is, my wheels arrived today and they look fantastic. Great finish and shine and well-made. They seemed a little large for a 16x8 inch wheel, but I've never handled a 16 inch wheel so what do I know... Anyway, I brought out the measuring tape and lo and behold...

They sent me 5 17x9 inch wheels in boxes that were labeled as if they were 16x8 inches. Well, that won't fit on my 315/75R16 tires, that's for sure. So... Looks like those are gonna be shipping right on back to Extreme Terrain pretty soon. I'm very disappointed that I have to do this, but my tires won't arrive for a while anyway so it's not the end of the world.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before sending those back, measure the back side of them from inside lip to inside lip. That's how you get the correct diameter.
Will do, thanks. Either way though, the rim is 9 inches tall and the 16 inch ones are only supposed to measure 8 inches tall.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPS man left me a gift today... Teraflex 2.5 inch lift, Teraflex steering stabilizer, and some quick sway bar disconnects. I'm not too impressed by the quality of the one shock I removed from the packaging. The logo is just a rough sticker that's put on the shock as opposed to printed on it. The seams at the each end of the tube are a bit rough, and the metal tube has black stains on it. There is also rust on one end. It almost looks used. Hopefully the ride quality trumps its aesthetics. On another note, I want to powder coat the coil springs red so I'll have to do some calling around tomorrow to see if there's even anyone in town who does that. I think it'd look nice.

I also realized today that I'm pretty ignorant about car stuff. Well, I already knew that, but... Anyway, apparently you're supposed to measure the wheels from the inside lip, as opposed to the outside lip. So it is actually 16x8. Who knew that the actual width of the rim isn't the actual width of the rim... Oh well... Thank you tons Lineski for pointing out the correct way to measure rim width.
:blackeye

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
UPS man left me a gift today... Teraflex 2.5 inch lift, Teraflex steering stabilizer, and some quick sway bar disconnects. I'm not too impressed by the quality of the one shock I removed from the packaging. The logo is just a rough sticker that's put on the shock as opposed to printed on it. The seams at the each end of the tube are a bit rough, and the metal tube has black stains on it. There is also rust on one end. It almost looks used. Hopefully the ride quality trumps its aesthetics. On another note, I want to powder coat the coil springs red so I'll have to do some calling around tomorrow to see if there's even anyone in town who does that. I think it'd look nice.

I also realized today that I'm pretty ignorant about car stuff. Well, I already knew that, but... Anyway, apparently you're supposed to measure the wheels from the inside lip, as opposed to the outside lip. So it is actually 16x8. Who knew that the actual width of the rim isn't the actual width of the rim... Oh well... Thank you tons Lineski for pointing out the correct way to measure rim width.
:blackeye
No problem, glad I could help! When I got my wheels in at first I thought they were a bit large and busted out the tape measurer. Then I looked online because I knew there was no way I was doing it right. Like you, I never was a "car person," but I'm trying to make it my forte with doing whatever I can on my own or with the help of friends. Good luck with your build, the color of your jeep is awesome, I'm really digging it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the arrival of the headlights a few days ago, everything is here and stored in the garage... Minus the tires. UPS estimates 4 more days on those bad boys, and I can't wait. Those are the most visually exciting item to arrive, I think. I'm getting excited. I'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I've finally got something accomplished on the Jeep today. I brought it in to the dealership to install the Raxiom LED replacement headlights and they look great and bright. It only cost $20 for them to install them so that was easy on the wallet. What wasn't easy on the wallet, however, was the tires and wheels... I decided to go ahead and get them mounted and balanced because I'm impatient and wanted SOME progress. Now, they look fantastic and mounting and balancing was only $75. However, the TPMS kit for 5 wheels was $300... Annoying.

I was originally scheduled to have the Jeep lifted today but I ended up shipping back the Teraflex one. As I said a few posts ago, each end of the shocks was rusted and I, overall, wasn't impressed with the quality of them. I've decided to go with the same 2.5" lift kit but instead with Bilstein 5100 shocks (and a Bilstein 5100 series steering stabilizer), along with Teraflex 1/2" spacers in the front and rear so I get a total of 3" of lift. I also decided on the AEV geometry correction brackets for the front lower control arms and a Teraflex Monster front forged adjustable track bar. This should be a solid start to my lift.

With everything said and done, once I get my old wheels and tires sold on eBay, I will likely be close to the amount of money I need to re-gear. Can't wait to get everything on. Soon, guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Final decisions have been made and the lift has been ordered. I ordered:

-Teraflex 2.5 inch lift kit
-Teraflex 0.5 inch shock spacers, front and rear
-Bilstein 5100 series shocks
-Teraflex Alpine front lower control arms
-Steer Smarts YETI front adjustable track bar
-Teraflex steering stabilizer (I really wanted the Bilstein one to match my shocks, but I read lots of reviews that it pulls the vehicle to the left since it's gas charged... so no thanks. The Teraflex one doesn't look nearly as good but it's hydraulic and has nothing but good reviews.)

If all goes well, it should be on within a week.

Also... I'm having some issues with the headlights. The guys installed them with the right headlight pointing about 3 degrees further up than the left one. At first, the left bright didn't even work... And then the right bright stopped working too! So I'll get that figured out once the lift is on, and hope that they were wired wrong and isn't a problem with the headlights entirely.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Almost everything's here... All that's left to arrive is the Teraflex steering stabilizer, Teraflex front and rear 1/2 inch coil spacers, and the YETI track bar. They're on their way as far as I know.

I'm so impressed by the quality of the Bilstein shocks. The welds are nice, everything is smooth, the finish is great... And they look just downright awesome. Miles ahead of the Teraflex shocks. Not only that, the lower control arms are HUGE and really well-built too. Happy with everything so far.

Thursday of this week is when the lift goes on.

Attachments

·
Vendor
739 Posts
Almost everything's here... All that's left to arrive is the Teraflex steering stabilizer, Teraflex front and rear 1/2 inch coil spacers, and the YETI track bar. They're on their way as far as I know.

I'm so impressed by the quality of the Bilstein shocks. The welds are nice, everything is smooth, the finish is great... And they look just downright awesome. Miles ahead of the Teraflex shocks. Not only that, the lower control arms are HUGE and really well-built too. Happy with everything so far.

Thursday of this week is when the lift goes on.
That's going to be a great setup. Let us know how it runs when you're done.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thought I'd give you all an update on where the Jeep stands.

-It went into the shop this morning at 7 am and I just got a call that the lift is installed. Unfortunately, they're going to have to keep it overnight because they need to bring it to a different shop to get the front axle aligned.
-A few days ago, I put on the MORryde heavy duty hinges and will put on the front decal when I have the chance.
-Unfortunately, I've had to return the Raxiom LED headlights because one of them was faulty. The right bright didn't work and moisture got inside of it. I will likely go with JWspeaker headlights instead.
-The shop said that the rear tire doesn't fit because it's too wide, so I'll need a spacer. I've also decided to return the MORryde heavy duty tire carrier and exchange it for the Teraflex one for more adjustability.
-I picked up a can of black spray paint today and will be painting the silver front bumper covers black when I get the chance

Hopefully I'll have photos for you all tomorrow. Can't wait to get it back. I'm expecting the ride at the beginning to be extremely stiff because of the E rated tires, Teraflex coils, and Bilstein shocks, all of which are stiff. Probably should've put more thought into that...

Also, yo mods. Is there any way I could edit my original post or change the title? Plans have changed and the mod list has too.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts