Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to buy a set of 33s for my 2010 Sahara. Trying to determine if it'll mean that I need to upgrade my spare tire rack.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yes, upgrade it, the rear door is flimsy enough with the stock spare tire. It will be money well spent to have piece of mind with your tire being secure and the tailgate being safe from flexing damage.

·
Registered
316 Posts
About to buy a set of 33s for my 2010 Sahara. Trying to determine if it'll mean that I need to upgrade my spare tire rack.
I read somewhere that the weight limit is 75 or 80 pounds. I have a 33x12.5x15 on it now and it's fine for now but I don't like it, I am looking for a new carrier/bumper for the peace of mind because they are kind of flimsy, and I've read just reinforcing the hinges will eventually make the entire back quarter panel tilt in when things start getting older, can't confirm myself but it seems it could happen.
I'd say you'll be fine with a 33 seeing as stock was 32 unless you got a really heavy steel wheel. But I wouldn't keep it there for the life of the Jeep

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read somewhere that the weight limit is 75 or 80 pounds. I have a 33x12.5x15 on it now and it's fine for now but I don't like it, I am looking for a new carrier/bumper for the peace of mind because they are kind of flimsy, and I've read just reinforcing the hinges will eventually make the entire back quarter panel tilt in when things start getting older, can't confirm myself but it seems it could happen.
I'd say you'll be fine with a 33 seeing as stock was 32 unless you got a really heavy steel wheel. But I wouldn't keep it there for the life of the Jeep
Yeah I'm going with 33x12.5x15 with alloy wheels. My plan is to later on (few months) add a heavy duty bumper with tire carrier. Mainly wondered if it's be good for a few months.

THANKS

·
Registered
19 Posts
A 33 will physically fit though, correct? 285/70R17... As Wlfman said, can upgrade later. Weight from a stock 32 on a rubicon wheel can't be much lighter than a 33, depending on brand of tire/wheel construction.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
85 lbs is the stock tailgate/Tire carrier rating.

Shouldn't be an issue with most 33" combinations , I ran KO2's and Procomp Series 29 wheels on mine for 2 years. I wouldn't run a 35" tire on it for long though. Once I went to 35's, I replaced my stock carrier with a bumper mounted carrier and a new bumper withing a month.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Reading around about this the manufacturer put a 50 pound load carrying limit on the tailgate.This includes the spare. The stock spare weighs more then that. Go Figure...

Jeff

·
Registered
351 Posts
You'll be fine. Save your money and the hassle of a swing away tire carrier. I run a 35" for about 5 years now. 90 lbs. Just switched to a different set that weighs 100 lbs. Carrier and tailgate is still going strong and I bomb through dirt roads like there is no tomorrow. I don't baby it. I just recently replaced the hinges with heavy duty ones, because the lower hinge developed play. Paid $115.

The bottom of my tire does rest on my stock bumper a bit, and I have rubber bump stops to stabilize it. If you just throw that tire back in there with it wobbling around, then maybe you'll have problems. But that's an installation issue, not a tire problem.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I ran a 33" tire on aftermarket rim for about 2 years with zero issues and zero rattling. Just put 35" on it but I do plan to upgrade it now, very soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts