Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
Are you asking what those axles will handle as far as the size of the tire? Or, are you asking what is the largest tire you can put on a stock suspension?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you asking what those axles will handle as far as the size of the tire? Or, are you asking what is the largest tire you can put on a stock suspension?
What size of tire the axels can handle, also without a lift

Thanks

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
What kind of off road driving will you be doing? The harder the trails, the smaller the tire you can use safely.

·
Vendor
6,293 Posts
What derf is saying is: It is all dependent on your intended use. You must also take into consideration the width of the tire at inflated pressure and wheel offset. If the only dirt or rocks it will ever see is what you may encounter on the road or a nursery parking lot, you can get away with much bigger tires. Typically 33" tires are fine on stock suspension. 35s will rub on full lock in a shopping mall over a speed bump. You can run 37s on those axles as long as you are not driving like you are on the Sonoma Raceway diving into the corners at speed.

It is advised that you do some improvements to them to run over 35s with moderate offroad use.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Yeah, no lift I wouldn't go more than an advertised 33" tall tire (one with an Outside Diameter under 33" in the specs). Though with Rubicon fenders I understand you could go bigger without a lift.

With 33's or smaller, your stock axle should be able to live a long life. Unless you really beat on the Jeep.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Are you an automatic or a manual? I just went to a 33" with an AEV spacer lift. I did the wheels and tires first and there was not rubbing stock.

I am manual and with the bigger tires the JLU really needs a re-gear. 5th and 6th is virtually useless with the 3.45's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you an automatic or a manual? I just went to a 33" with an AEV spacer lift. I did the wheels and tires first and there was not rubbing stock.

I am manual and with the bigger tires the JLU really needs a re-gear. 5th and 6th is virtually useless with the 3.45's.
I had posed a similar question. I just ordered a manual trans JLU Sahara and wanted to see if I could do bigger tires than the stock 255/70R18 without any other mods. I take it I shouldn’t go any bigger until I’m ready to re-gear?

·
Registered
860 Posts
I had posed a similar question. I just ordered a manual trans JLU Sahara and wanted to see if I could do bigger tires than the stock 255/70R18 without any other mods. I take it I shouldn’t go any bigger until I’m ready to re-gear?
Actually, width has a lot to do with looks.

I replaced my stock Sahara tires with 275/65r18 Duratracs. The welcome aggressive looks of this tire helps it look like a Jeep, while the tire is the same diameter as the stockers with zero adverse effect on gearing, the 1 inch added width brings it together and makes its stance almost as nice as a Rubi.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I'm running OE wheels (no spacers) 2.5" lift and 35's. Jeep runs/handles/rides great - Better than stock (as they say) MPG's actually went up after the build.

I don't ascribe to any formula answers to my life choices - this build went great.
Last one (JKURHR) went great too on 33's.

IMG_20190606_194056.jpg

IMG_20190606_194114.jpg

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm running OE wheels (no spacers) 2.5" lift and 35's. Jeep runs/handles/rides great - Better than stock (as they say) MPG's actually went up after the build.

I don't ascribe to any formula answers to my life choices - this build went great.

Last one (JKURHR) went great too on 33's.

View attachment 4177485

View attachment 4177487

What lights are you running on your bumper bar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually, width has a lot to do with looks.

I replaced my stock Sahara tires with 275/65r18 Duratracs. The welcome aggressive looks of this tire helps it look like a Jeep, while the tire is the same diameter as the stockers with zero adverse effect on gearing, the 1 inch added width brings it together and makes its stance almost as nice as a Rubi.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
This is good to know. Would you be willing to post a pic of your setup? It seems that this size is not that common in other brands, but I really like the look of this tire.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The set up from factory with the 255/70 is near perfect, still could use some gear. The 33's make the upper gears 4-5-6 almost useless, so yes a re-gear is mandatory. I live in the mountains and it isn't fun driving it right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts