Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Can't answer that until the final pricing is out....
And it also depends on if you are getting a manual Rubi or not....

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
It is not worth it at all.

I have a JKUR with 4.10s and opted to not order the Max Tow. It's way overpriced. It comes with the hitch and wiring harness for $300.

I installed my $90 Qtec package yesterday and it even comes with a Mopar Jeep hitch cover. It took maybe 20 minutes to install.

Just order a Jeep with 4.10s but without the max tow if it's a Rubicon, or 3.73s if not.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2012 Sport S auto and 3.21s and was going to get the max tow package but as I researched it it was not worth it. I also installed the quadratec receiver and a Mopar wiring harness.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
My Qtec hitch/harness/cover arrived yesterday. $89.97 shipped! :punk:

Now if I only had a Jeep to install it on...

It was a bigger waste of money prior to 10/1/2012...when Jeep raised the prices of the stand-alone gear option by $100. What I'm not sure of....is if they raised the price of the max tow package or not.

Right now (for non Rubi's) it is:

$295 for Trailer Tow
$395 for Max Tow (not sure if this has or will increase in price).
$195 for upgraded gears.

For Rubi manuals (which come with 4.10's) it is a total rip....because you are being charged $395 for Max Tow....when you already have the upgraded gears (4.10). It is a waste of $305 dollars.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Exactly! ^

The upgrade from 3.73s on my automatic Rubicon to 4.10s was only $90 IIRC. And that was only 2 months ago. Has the price increased already?
Yup....a bunch of stuff went up in price on 10/1. Still hasn't been updated on the Jeep site.

In less than a year, the gear ratio upgrade went from $50 to $95 to $195... For a short abount of time, some of the 2012's were being upgraded for free.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The price went up because a ton of people ordered new Jeeps with the 3.73 upgrade for $50. So Chrysler decided to cash in on that. That's my guess.
I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fuel surcharge or all the parts being hauled into Jeep Plant. :whistling: Believe fuel surcharge national average is now 45%.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm sure it had nothing to do with the fuel surcharge or all the parts being hauled into Jeep Plant. :whistling: Believe fuel surcharge national average is now 45%.
Could very well be. I'm still going with the cash grab. :D

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
could you tow easy with 3.73?
Since you said "max tow" (only available on a 4 door), I'm assuming you are talking about an Unlimited.

It is a Jeep...
It "can" tow, but there are much better tow vehicles out there.

The poor hitch design, high center of gravity, and weak brakes are not really suited for major long haul tow duty. But if you are towing stuff around town, it will be fine. Jeep set the tow limit at 3500 pounds for a 4 door with 3.73's or 4.10's.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
For 2012 and prior, the tow package was definitely worth it because you got away control with it, but if you didn't order tow package, it was not included and there was no way to add it later. For 2013, sway control is standard now. So on the tow package you get the hitch and wiring for $295. Max tow gets the same with 3.73 gears added for $395. The 3.73's as a standalone option are $195 now. Yes you can buy an aftermarket hitch for $100, but since I was getting 3.73's anyway, I got max tow. This way I didn't have to spend another $100 out of pocket, take time to install it, and it's covered by my warranty if anything crazy happened.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
So are you saying it costs Chrysler more to haul a load of 3.73 gears into the plant than it does to haul a load of 3.21 gears into the plant? :confused:

Bottom line is, Jeep is ripping people off on the ratio change.

But, I'm glad I have Max Tow...hitch, wiring, trailer sway control, and gear ratio upgrade PLUS full warranty on all of the above.

Reactions: Vle241

·
Registered
848 Posts
I read somewhere that you also got beefed up shocks with the max tow package as well. Not true then?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I read somewhere that you also got beefed up shocks with the max tow package as well. Not true then?
Nope...the shocks are the shocks.

You "might" get higher rated springs....maybe. That just depends on how drunk/bored/stoned the line worker is that day.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
^ I heard that rumor as well, couldn't find proof of it when I line itemed build sheets between two Jeeps - one had the max tow package, one had no tow package. One dealer I don't trust tried talking me into max tow because of a bigger trans cooler, I asked them to show me the difference and they couldn't, then they insisted it was inside the transmission. When you look at the package on Jeep.com - MAX TOW PACKAGE
$390 / $6 A MONTH

3.73 Rear Axle Ratio
A numerically lower axle ratio results in lower engine rpm and better fuel economy. A numerically higher ratio improves acceleration, climbing grades, carrying loads or pulling a trailer.
Class II Receiver Hitch
Trailer Tow with 4-Pin Connector Wiring

If they added a bigger trans cooler I would think they would also want to brag about it too - it's a bit more fancy than the 4-pin wiring after all.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
There is no additional cooler.

Trailer Tow gets you a hitch and a harness.
Max Tow gets you a hitch, a harness, and 3.73's (or 4.10's if you have a Rubi).

Both "might" get you higher rated springs. But if you are getting a 4 door with a hardtop, the tow package might not change the spring rate. But it does get you a factory warranty.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts