Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently ordered up the Maximus-3 winch plate/light tabs/grille guard combo for my 2015 Sport and so far I have been thoroughly impressed with the quality of the product. My biggest concern is after mounting my Warn 8000-S winch on it the bolts used to attach it to the frame of the Jeep seem less than ideal. The bolts are really, really short and they mount with two on the rear downward "dog leg" portion and two on the front brackets that mount below the tow hooks. I believe earlier JK's had extra holes in the frame portion for the rear as my 2015 only has one per side. I plan on drilling an extra hole on each side to make it four bolts on this section, with the two up front. I am just worried about the overall strength with winching.

Has anyone actually used a winch with this setup? I have had winches on my Jeeps in the past and ran various bumpers from other manufacturers and I have never seen mounting hardware so short. On top of the bolts being short they are threaded into the brackets rather than using a bolt through design where a nut, washer and lock washer are used on the backside. I have not installed the winch plate setup to the Jeep yet because of this and to be honest I am not exactly confident in using this setup to safely pull my Jeep out of anything. Can anyone put my mind at ease here with any feedback on this product? The upside is it looks fantastic, but that isn't going to get me far out in the woods. Thanks a ton.

RockMJ

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey everyone, I tried calling Maximus but was unable to get anyone on the phone. I am still very much on the fence about using this mounting system to holy my winch and safely pull the Jeep out. Anyone have any input? Thanks

RockMJ

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After doing some digging all of the hardware appears to be grade 5 and possibly two grade 8 hex cap screws. In total there are fourteen of different sized bolts to hold everything together with threaded brackets rather than utilizing nuts, lock washers, and flat washers to attach it all together. I know the bolts used to hold the winch on are grade 5 but my concern is the mounting hardware. Anyone else feel this is inadequate?

RockMJ

·
Registered
485 Posts
I looked at The Maximus setup very carefully and decided it was not strong enough to hold my Zeon 10. It may be rated to do so, don't know, but the angled mounting tabs, the way it adapts to the Jeep bumper and small hardware don't look up to the task. I really wanted it to be more than it is.

So,I went ahead and got a Rampage recovery bumper. Only a couple hundred bux more and WAY stronger. The install was easy and it gives the Jeep a lot more protection. Also it has much stronger attachment points for recovery gear.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have a WARN Zeon 12,000lb in my RubiconX bumper mounted on a Maximus3 plate using supplied hardware, no problems (or concerns) at all.
Maximus3 products & hardware are super stout & more than up to the task, handling any 'sheer' pressures involved-IMO.
You could always just grab some Grade-8 replacement bolts if you like, but I don't think its necessary..

·
Registered
485 Posts
For me it's not the "sheer" load, it's the tension load of small bolts screwed into threaded holes and the reach around arms that look flexible. Switching to grade 8 will not help.

I'd like to see a test done by Maximus with a 10K winch at full load pulling on this setup. Or have them assure us what it is actually rated for. Has anyone asked them if they have that kind of a test or rating?

ASE, since you're "certified", maybe you could run such a test and video it for us.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked at The Maximus setup very carefully and decided it was not strong enough to hold my Zeon 10. It may be rated to do so, don't know, but the angled mounting tabs, the way it adapts to the Jeep bumper and small hardware don't look up to the task. I really wanted it to be more than it is.

So,I went ahead and got a Rampage recovery bumper. Only a couple hundred bux more and WAY stronger. The install was easy and it gives the Jeep a lot more protection. Also it has much stronger attachment points for recovery gear.
I agree with you entirely. I originally had decided upon the Warn setup but went with this because of the added features (grille guard/light brackets) but was unaware of how it mounted to the Jeep. I am drilling a few extra holes in the frame and attaching it with better hardware if I can find it. Obviously the extra thread sticking out of the mounts is useless, but a good portion of the bolts dont seem to exactly poke out the backside of the brackets. I will post up what I find out when I get done drilling a few holes and running to the hardware store.

RockMJ

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For me it's not the "sheer" load, it's the tension load of small bolts screwed into threaded holes and the reach around arms that look flexible.
This is exactly my concern as well. I could be over thinking things, but coming from running ARB and Warn bumpers in the past this just seems pretty frail. I never had any concerns winching with my ARB or Warn bumpers but I am still not confident with this setup, but again, I could be over thinking things and worrying for nothing.

RockMJ

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Has anyone asked them if they have that kind of a test or rating?
I noticed that the mounting plate for the RubiconX is .22" thick, when Warn states that the plate should be .25" thick minimum. When I brought this to the attention of Maximus3, they told me that their mounting plate is "rated for" 12k pounds, whatever that really means.

I was also less than impressed with the hardware supplied with my Maximus3 kit for the RubiconX. I ended up ditching the button head bolts and using metric 10.9 fasteners. Other than that, the M3 RubiconX winch mount seems well made, but it is a completely different arrangement than their mount for the standard bumper.

After looking at the M3 winch mount for the standard bumper, I completely agree with you. With the way it mounts, it certainly doesn't look very stout. Nothing wrong with over-thinking things IMO - it's better than blindly using a product just because other people like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I noticed that the mounting plate for the RubiconX is .22" thick, when Warn states that the plate should be .25" thick minimum. When I brought this to the attention of Maximus3, they told me that their mounting plate is "rated for" 12k pounds, whatever that really means.

I was also less than impressed with the hardware supplied with my Maximus3 kit for the RubiconX. I ended up ditching the button head bolts and using metric 10.9 fasteners. Other than that, the M3 RubiconX winch mount seems well made, but it is a completely different arrangement than their mount for the standard bumper.

After looking at the M3 winch mount for the standard bumper, I completely agree with you. With the way it mounts, it certainly doesn't look very stout. Nothing wrong with over-thinking things IMO - it's better than blindly using a product just because other people like it.
It is always beneficial to pay attention and give thought to things. I ended up getting it mounted with some longer grade 5 hardware I picked up. With the longer bolts I was able to add a flat washer and lock washer to the setup on all the bolts along with some red thread locker. Adding the extra holes into the frame for the attachment points seemed to strengthen it up a great deal. The quality is good on the whole product but I wish they would re-engineer it to be more stout. It seems more than capable to handle winch pulls after getting it on but it certainly doesn't feel that way when its in the box. Looking at similar products from Warn and you can easily see why. I really think if they added extra brackets to the under side and inside of the frame rails it would be plenty strong enough and give the user peace of mind.

RockMJ

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
I have a Zeon 8-S on the Maximus-3 mount. I have pulled plenty of rigs out with it and a few downed trees. I check the mounting bolts for tightness as I go through my suspension checks. No issues.

Bob K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts