Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Zeon 10 winch for my HRR, and now I need to pick out a winch mounting kit to use with the factory bumper. I'm planning to use Maximus-3 since they seem to have the most options. But, they are kinda expensive...do they ever go on sale? I couldn't tell if they are a vendor on here or not.

·
Registered
720 Posts
They have a forum on here. I don't know about sales, but I can tell you their quality, service, and shipping is fantastic. If you have a Rubicon 10a, X or Hard Rock, you can't find a better winch mount kit (in my opinion).

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Stevil. I got in touch with Brandon at Maximus and he gave me a 10% military discount. Turns out we have been stationed at some of the same places but at different times. Small world. Anyway I was happy to get the discount and will be even happier when I can come home and install everything!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I used the Maximus mount for the Zeon 10-S on my '14 Rubicon X. I thought the product was OK, but noticed a few things and made a few changes:

1) The Warn instructions state that the winch mount plate needs to be minimum 1/4" (6.4mm) thick. The Maximus plate measured at .21" thick. Maximus informed me that their plate is 5.5mm thick (.22") and "rated for 10,000 lbs". My opinion is that Maximus should at least meet the requirements of Warn if they are going to promote their product as suitable for mounting the Zeon winch.

2) The vacuum pump relocation bracket needed to be trimmed a little to mount the vac pump. No big deal I guess.

3) The hardware supplied for attaching the centering plate to the bumper seems kind of small considering the loads generated by an off-center pull. The existing holes allow for larger fasteners, so I upgraded to larger metric 10.9 flanged bolts & nuts.

4) The installation instructions refer to 'spacers' under the nuts that mount the bumper to the chassis. They say to move these 'spacers' to between the bumper & chassis rails to move the bumper out slightly to give more room for the winch. Well, the 'spacers' are not simply spacers, they are there to help spread out the load at the bumper/chassis connection, and they should really be kept in place. I kept the 'spacers' in their original position, made 3/16" thick steel spacers to go between the bumper & chassis, and adjusted the mounting plate to fit. The only issue is that the winch not sits back toward the grille a little further than Maximus intended. I don't think I can remove my grille without removing the winch (or just breaking a few clips), but it is a small price to pay for a stronger mount arrangement.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I went with the Zeon 10S and the Maximus mount (and hoop). I had no installation issues. I know others had to trim the vacuum pump relocation bracket as mentioned above, but my was fine, no modification needed. Mine has been used in a couple of really had pulls with no issue. I also have a JKURX with the steel factory bumper.

I can still get my grill on and off (it's very tight), but I put all available free play forward during the install for that reason. There is about room for a couple of business cards to fit between the winch and bumper lip.

I like Maximus products, and price compared to the Mopar alternative.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great recommendations Jac04. I will look to incorporate your advice.

I purchased my Maximus-3 kit from Rubitrux. Still expensive, but it was the most reasonalbly priced I found. Never saw them on sale.

I completed my install this weekend with a Zeon 10S. The only serious problem I encountered was that I was unable to install the lower inside bumper mounting nuts. The size of the zeon 10 prevents me from getting my socket passed the winch from any angle.

Any recommendations for that problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
I drilled the two optional holes in the bottom lip of the bumper to access the winch mounting bolts. This allows the winch to be bolted with the bumper in place. So...once everything was in place, I could remove the winch, take care of the bumper bolts, then bolt the winch back in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drilled the two optional holes in the bottom lip of the bumper to access the winch mounting bolts. This allows the winch to be bolted with the bumper in place. So...once everything was in place, I could remove the winch, take care of the bumper bolts, then bolt the winch back in place.
Thanks, Rylandnc! That is a fantastic idea and a simple fix.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
since the thread has been brought up, I purchased the maximus sport tire carrier ... I have sent Maximus an email for some concerns I have. I also posted in their dealer specific threads with no reply.

I really like the look of their products, but customer service is nonexistent.

·
Registered
366 Posts
since the thread has been brought up, I purchased the maximus sport tire carrier ... I have sent Maximus an email for some concerns I have. I also posted in their dealer specific threads with no reply.

As a factory service rep for a national vehicle manufacturer, I suggest do the old fashion thing, and call them. They are a smaller company and response to electronic communications generally (for any company) is not as fast and direct contact. I have had exceptional response from Maximus 3, but I always make direct contact via phone with any company regarding customer service.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Yes ... I understand. All my previous purchases (small companies) have been great with emails. If your going to post a direct email link to your business, might as well reply to them. I'll give them a call if I have any questions during install, but looks like its self explanatory.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The size of the zeon 10 prevents me from getting my socket passed the winch from any angle.

Any recommendations for that problem?
I remember having to try a few different combinations of sockets, adapters & and swivels before finding something that worked. A real PITA.

...I suggest do the old fashion thing, and call them.
Good advice. I called them about something, but nobody answered and I didn't leave a message. 5 Minutes later, they called me. They just wanted to make sure that I was taken care of. Pretty good customer service I'd say.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I got ahold of the Maximus-3 Classic Hoop for my 10A/X front bumper. I do love it, but I found that the reinforcement brackets provided do not match those in the directions. They can be put together, but it rubs me the wrong way.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I had question while I was mounting the Sport tire carrier Sunday evening about 7:30pm. I called Maximus hoping to get a recording telling me what time they opened Monday morning so I could get my question answered and I could finish my install.
To my surprise Joe answered the phone. He told me that when they get a call on the weekend it's usually an install problem and they wanted to make sure they could answer any questions.
He talked me through the install question I had and I was good to go......did I mention this was at 7:30pm on a Sunday evening!!
Now that's customer service that goes above and beyond and I am very pleased with the quality of their products.

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Another rant... I received my shipment today. Bottom end was half open. They need to use more tape. Also, I'm missing the backup led lights that's suppose to be included. I gotta call them tomorrow since I'm installing everything Saturday. The backup light can wait.

View attachment 2011945

Please add more tape on your big shipments. I should've took initial pics of how I received the box... I know it gets mistreated during delivery though.
View attachment 2011945

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
I had to call Maximus again since I had extra parts laying around after install. I posted on Maximus vendor thread. Apparently, they do check the threads since I posted a picture of it and told me that it was my backup light hinge.

I initially purchased the led backup light/sport tire carrier.

I received the backup light hinge/sport tire carrier.

they are sending me the led backup light and I paid the difference for the hinge today. Errors happen, and they are taking care of me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts