Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy thought, it the axle locked when vacuum is applied or released. I wonder if it would be possible to extend the line into the cab and be able to turn it on and off from there. The reason is to be able to run an aussie locker in the front and be able to have it drive the left side while the right is unlocked for snow driving. I wonder if this would work to make it not so dangerous for street driving in winter. If it would work then a locker in the rear and front would make it a 3 wheel drive, instead of the stock 2 wheel drive it is now with open diffs (on snow and greasy roads) in 4x4. If I understand correctly. My reasoning for 3 wheel drive is as follows: on mud or snow, in 2H open diff it has 1 wheel spinning, 2H LSD is 1 1/2 wheels spinning, 4H open 2 wheels spinning(1 frt 1 rear),4H locker in rear 3 wheels spinning, 4H locker frt and rear 4 wheels spinning.( my way of barney level explaining the difference to my kids) Only 4H both locked is supposed to be bad for steering on road but great off road. Trying to find the best of both worlds. Or, am I just nuts??

·
Registered
15,694 Posts
They sell a kit for cable control but yes you could do a vacuum manual switch

The z31 300zx 84-87 have such a switch which you could harvest from the junkyard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I think you'd find the VERY unpredictable torque steer more dangerous than the locker....

The "best of both worlds" is a selectable locker... the lives of your family are WORTH a few hundred more $$$

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did more research 4x4 Posi-Lok sounds like what I'm trying to do. Should have known it was not a new idea. from website "4x4 Posi-Lok also works great with lockers! When the front axle is locked, you can disengage the passenger side in order to make turns without wheel hop."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts