Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TJ that I do my serious wheeling with and I was looking for something stock to do just little trails and make a project. My uncle has a old cj that I may be getting for dirt jeep. Would a CJ make a good jeep to just use for little trails and driving around town? And is working on them harder then a TJ or easier?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I know to expect rust all over the place and rusted bolts just wanting a project for my senior year and for my college years.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Love working on my CJ...if you got fuel, spark...it will start for the most part. Easy to trouble shoot, plus-mechanical shift linkages and lockout hubs...like being in heaven, oh, and all of the hardware is SAE, no metric.

Mine is for trails and off-road, and driving around town. No lengthy trips, just for fun. I take it to cruise-ins and always get attention. Conversation piece every where you go...what more fun can you have?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good I'm 17 so all I wanna do is work on stuff and my TJ never breaks down ( knocks on wood ) and I can get a cj for like 200 bucks cause it's my uncle. So it would be okay for just driving around town on weekends? Maybe occasional trail rides that my TJ goes through on 2wd easily

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Good I'm 17 so all I wanna do is work on stuff and my TJ never breaks down ( knocks on wood ) and I can get a cj for like 200 bucks cause it's my uncle. So it would be okay for just driving around town on weekends? Maybe occasional trail rides that my TJ goes through on 2wd easily
Last Jeep Jamboree, I used my CJ5 to pull around a TJ behind and in front of me. My cj is a narrow track, and the trail ruts were eating TJs and YJs like candy. I actually was running inside their ruts, being my axles are narrower. I was driving in 2 wheel in my CJ for the most part, while the others were struggling in 4 in the muck. Don't underestimate a CJ...technology is older, but proven on them all.:punk:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha I like the sound of that. But it won't ever be like super restored all of it will be done by me so I can keep it cheap don't got alot of money. Hard to maintain?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Nah, they're pretty simple. Difference is that the transfer case will be a non chain style (more than likely, depending on year, unless it has the Quadratrac system) and durable as what you are used to in the Wranglers. Just keep axle, tranny, and transfer fluids on scheduled changes and you should be good driveline wise. Most of the axle vents on CJs suck, so that is why I would change lube frequently. Also, as with any older vehicle, check wiring for corrosion or break down. Older vehicles can get into electrical short problems and even fire, so check your wiring to be safe...just something I try to keep up on that I would deem important.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I echo what everyone else has already said. The availabilty/room to access stuff to work on them is much better. As with any old vehicle rust, bad wiring and the occasional broken part happen but that comes with the territory.

I actually got my CJ when I was around 17 and worked on it through about my sophmore year of school. It was always a big hit with my friends and many times girls wanted to go from a ride......if you are into that kinda thing! :)

I have changed my starter in the parking lot of Autozone before with little effort.

I enjoy working on mine because unless I am under the dash I am usually in a semi comfortable position...my mustang is not the same case.

In my experience, CJ's were typically mistreated and always have things that have to be redone when buying.

Oh I like my narrow track axles as well. My friends in high school all had big trucks with much larger tires...I just rode in between to avoid falling in. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts