Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

Obviously my first post...

I have a 2012 Wrangler 4DR Sport Unlimited 6 speed manual...

My wife and I went RV shopping this weekend with the idea we could tow up to 3500 lbs with our Jeep. The vehicle came from the factory with the tow package included. I stupidly thought I had the 3.73 axle ratio but after looking at the window sticker it stated I had the 3.21. To make a long story short we bought a 21' camper that weights 2900lbs. Needless to say I'm sick to my stomach. Why would Chrysler put a tow package on a vehicle but not upgrade the axle ratio? My God, a 1000lbs is a complete joke. I don't want to put me or anyone else on the road in any type of danger, I don't know what to do.....

I contacted the dealership for a quote on the 3.73 axle ratio. I've read on random posts it's going to run around 2G. One thing I haven't done is look at the build sheet through the vin, is there anyway the sticker could be wrong?

I know this is all my fault, I'm blaming nobody but myself. Someone talk me off the ledge!!

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I doubt it if the sticker is wrong....but are you checking the right hand side?

One of the dumbest things Jeep did is offer "Trailer Tow" and "Max Tow" starting in 2012 on the 4 doors.

Trailer Tow is just a hitch and harness, while Max Tow actually includes the 3.73 axle ratio. (Except for the manual Rubicons where Max Tow is just an overpriced hitch and harness).

Sorry, but there isn't a whole lot that can be done outside of a re-gear.

I'll add one more thing. I think it is silly that Jeep limits the 3.21's to 2000 pounds on the +2012 4 doors.....but that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You could cancel the purchase of the RV, and go with a roof top tent, or a JK Habitat.

Or look into one of the smaller tow-behind RVs.

I don't know enough about the available mod options on a wrangler that would allow it to tow 3500 lbs, so I will leave that to a much more experienced person.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I would check the build sheet I cant believe the factory would put a 3.21 axle in a jeep with a tow package. Are you sure its a factory option or something the dealer installed and added in the deal does it say tow pkg on the original window sticker? Did you buy it new?
If it is indeed a3.21 you might consider trade in on a JKU with the proper equipment a 3.21 and 6speed manual will not cut it. Welcome to the forum and don't jump just yet you might hear from greater minds than mine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the research I've done, everything is the exact same on the jeep that can tow 3500lbs and the one that can tow 1000lbs (except the axle ratio)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Thanks for your reply, can you clarify "checking the right hand side"
On the left hand side of your window sticker are all of the "standard" options. So 3.21 on a non-Rubi (or select special editions) will be listed on the left hand side.

On the right hand side are all of the installed options. Does is say Trailer Tow or Max Tow? (If Max Tow, it will say 3.73's). Or...you can have the Trailer Tow package, and 3.73's ordered as a stand alone option...that would be listed as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, and yep, the sticker clearly states tow package with stabilizer...And of course the 3.21 is stated as well. I towed a very light tent camper with a Blazer years ago and it was horrible. Taking this camper home from the dealership was effortless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re gearing doesn't cost 2k. Half that maybe. Why don't you just hook up the camper and see how it pulls before you freak out? People tow without ideal gearing every day. From what the others say the brakes and suspension part of it is not an issue.

You aren't going to be "putting anyone in danger".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess if I got in accident maybe the insurance company wouldn't cover me. Funny, what you posted is what everyone is telling me...
BTW, the trailer has electric brakes installed so it really does tow and brake beautifully.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Something to think about: if it had the 3500 rating here is approx how it would break down for towing that load;

85%of max towing: 2975
Tongue weight: (10 to 15 of trailer weight) 290
People(most ratings include 150lbs for the driver, you mention another passenger and I will guess you might have other items to put in the trailer and cloths, food etc.. Lets say that adds to another 200lbs)

So final max tow the jeep should be pulling is based on above(adj as needed)[email protected] so your over the limit even if you had the correct tow package.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wouldn't you just have to shift a bit more? 5th gear on any sort of an incline? If re-gearing is an option, from what I have read on some of the posts, DON'T LET THE DEALERSHIP RE-GEAR IT!! Forget who posted the saying, but it sounded like good advice to me...."you want a mechanic who does 4 re-gears a week, not 4 a year".

·
Registered
174 Posts
Are you towing mostly on flat terrain? Mountains and significant grades can tax the hell out of your rig. Might consider transmission cooler too.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Are you towing mostly on flat terrain? Mountains and significant grades can tax the hell out of your rig. Might consider transmission cooler too.
It is a stick. No tranny cooler needed.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Good thing about the stick shift is you can run in any gear you want. If you have trailer brakes, I wouldn't worry about it. I found that you have to run with the traction control system off. Whether you run in 6th with 3.73's or 3.21's in 5th all is the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Something to think about: if it had the 3500 rating here is approx how it would break down for towing that load;

85%of max towing: 2975
Tongue weight: (10 to 15 of trailer weight) 290
People(most ratings include 150lbs for the driver, you mention another passenger and I will guess you might have other items to put in the trailer and cloths, food etc.. Lets say that adds to another 200lbs)

So final max tow the jeep should be pulling is based on above(adj as needed)[email protected] so your over the limit even if you had the correct tow package.
What you're referring to is GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). Plain and simple, the trailer weighs 2900lbs and the Jeep with the correct axle can tow 3500lbs. When loaded with bedding and other household items you may tack another 200lbs

·
Registered
374 Posts
One thing I've noticed in this discussion is the OP is saying the JK with 3.21s is rated at 1000lbs but others are saying 2000lbs. I had read that the new JKs with the new engine were reared at 2000 lbs not 1000 lbs. Not sure if he noticed that.

Still not enough, but not quite the gap he thought either.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
One thing I've noticed in this discussion is the OP is saying the JK with 3.21s is rated at 1000lbs but others are saying 2000lbs. I had read that the new JKs with the new engine were reared at 2000 lbs not 1000 lbs. Not sure if he noticed that.

Still not enough, but not quite the gap he thought either.
2012 Owner's Manual says 3.6L, 3.21 axle, manual, 4-door = 1000 lbs.

Later OMs say 2000 lbs with the exact same set up....

Probably the 2012 OM, which contained some errors in specs for the new 3.6, is wrong. Nothing has changed that would increase towing cap.

The 'real' towing capacity of the OP's setup is certainly 2000 lbs. only because of the gearing.

I have no idea why the OP can't just lower his shift points to have the same approximate total gearing to the ground as a 3.73 axle, and go ahead and tow 3,500 lbs.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Having towed a decent amount with a 6 speed JKU with 3.21s your only real problem will be backing up hills. That is a pain... but besides that you'll be fine

1 - 20 of 99 Posts