Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took mt 2017 Wrangler in to have the tires balance . The kid that took the wheels off did a little extra . When the Jeep tire job was done he took it apon himself to check things out . He toped off the expansion tank with NAPA 50/50 antifreeze . I was billed for 1/2 Gal Antifreeze will this be a problem or not . I did not see this untill i got home and looked at the bill .

·
Registered
75 Posts
One half gallon is a lot, so I'd check to see if he filled the expansion tank, or just brought it up to the full mark.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yes thats going to be a problem if the NAPA antifreeze is not OAT - i would guess a total system flush and fill with the proper coolant would be in order straight away.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
I would also check to see what coolant he put in. If it is not compatible with what was in there, it will turn to sludge. Also, I would ask for a refund for something you never asked to be done.

Reactions: 87_WhyJay

·
Registered
471 Posts
There was no OAT in NAPA the last time I look for coolant. So the chance of them pouring the HOAT is very high.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a NAPA 50/50 Mix and I myself have not added any antifreeze to the jeep . The expansion tank is a very little over full as of now . I GUESS I will keep an eye on it and if things start to happen go from there .

·
Premium Member
6,976 Posts
I would not take the risk. I would remove the expansion tank and then do a compete flush and refill.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Took mt 2017 Wrangler in to have the tires balance . The kid that took the wheels off did a little extra . When the Jeep tire job was done he took it apon himself to check things out . He toped off the expansion tank with NAPA 50/50 antifreeze . I was billed for 1/2 Gal Antifreeze will this be a problem or not . I did not see this untill i got home and looked at the bill .
Doing sh*t that you weren't asked to do is an auto mechanic no-no 101. I'd nail them to the wall (e.g., raise a ruckus and demand a full refund).

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
It was a NAPA 50/50 Mix and I myself have not added any antifreeze to the jeep . The expansion tank is a very little over full as of now . I GUESS I will keep an eye on it and if things start to happen go from there .
I would go down there and ask to see what coolant they put in there. Also, have the page marked in the manuel that talks about what is to be used. When they don't match up, they can do a full flush and fill with correct coolant or pay to have it done. I would not wait.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
I'm not saying I wouldn't raise hell with them, but I don't see how they can advertise this a blatantly as they do and not get beotch slapped by some agency if it were false advertising.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Determine if it's OAT or HOAT. Then get a coolant flush/refill on their dime.

Plenty of threads from 2013/2014 when MOPAR swapped from one to the other discuss this. It turns into a pasty mess if you mix them and will clog the cooling system. It is not a subtle problem but it is not easy to know it's happening until it's too late.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
Determine if it's OAT or HOAT. Then get a coolant flush/refill on their dime.

Plenty of threads from 2013/2014 when MOPAR swapped from one to the other discuss this. It turns into a pasty mess if you mix them and will clog the cooling system. It is not a subtle problem but it is not easy to know it's happening until it's too late.
He has a 2017.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There is a TSB for improper coolant mix somewhere on the forum.
Do not wait for sludge or sediments at the bottom of the bottle, flush it.

Found some:
TSB 07-004-12 REV-A

CAUTION: Vehicle Damage may occur if dissimilar coolants are mixed!
Coolants of different technologies are not compatible nor interchangeable (OAT, HOAT or
IAT).
Mixing these coolants could result in:
• accelerated corrosion within the engine and cooling systems.
• the coolant having an ammonia smell.
• debris (particles) floating in the coolant.
Further inspection by the technician may find corrosion in the system. This could show up
as aluminum pipes turning black in the coolant system, engine overheat, or leaks in the
coolant system.
NOTE: If OAT (MOPAR P/N 68163848AA Purple) has been Mixed with HOAT (MOPAR
P/N 68048953AB Pink Or Factory Fill HOAT Orange (
Fig. 2) or (Fig. 3)) or any
other coolants have been mixed, it will be necessary to flush the cooling
system.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Best thing I've found for over 50 years of vehicle ownership, is to check/keep it full yourself. Then there is no one else to blame it on.
!/2 gal low. that's pretty low.
just say'n

·
Registered
738 Posts
I would immediately remove and dump the expansion tank.
+1 this

You caught it fast enough, the amount that 'could' have been pulled back in is pretty low IMHO. This is not vinegar/baking soda type stuff. The 'sludge' type things happen at higher concentrations.

Dump/flush/fill the expansion tank, look into the radiator and check clarity/color before going non-linear. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Remind me to never work on any of yalls Jeeps. No reason to make the kid lose his job just explain your concern and ask them to fix it. Shouldn't be a problem Most likely he was just trying to help. We do things like that all the time at our shop fill up washer fluid brake fluid etc. But we never charge unless that's the service to customer asked for. Best of luck to you man a gentle hand goes a long way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts