Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 95 YJ in my shop the other day and I'm wanting to build it as a trail rig for the family. Uwharrie opens up in a month and would be nice to get it on the trail relatively quickly.

Ideally I want to link it and build it up, but for right now I'm thinking of just doing a budget build and getting it on the trail. Then next off season going a little further with it.

The frame is shot in the back, but the body and the rest of the frame is pretty nice. I was thinking about back halfing it so it will be ready for a 4-link later, but would like to run leafs for right now so I can get it on the trail quickly and cheaply because other than the frame rot the Jeep runs and drives pretty well.

Might be a dumb idea, but maybe someone has done it. I know a 4-link would be ideal, but want to do something that can get me on the trail faster for this season.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but by the time you do that you are already in it for about the cost of a back half, and you have a stock frame that has been pieced together.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Make up your mind what you are going to do and then do it. Why on earth would you want to half a$$ your rig? Either 4 link it and be done or repair the frame and go leaf spring. You're not being realistic trying to patch it up on the cheap and not wanting to have to lay out the cash to make it right. You want the best of both worlds and it will not work out the way you'd like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why would you try to half-*ss a rig where your whole family is going to be in, do it once and do it right

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not trying to half ass it, obviously I'm not going to cobble together some strange unsafe setup with my family in it. That's why I was asking. I'm sure there is a way to safely do it. It isn't like I came in here and said "check it out, I patched my frame with 20 gauge sheetmetal and rivets and installed 6" of lift with stacked blocks and 24" long shackles! My 5 year old loves it!" ;)

I may actually end up parting this one out. I was looking at it again last night and I think the frame may actually be too far gone, the rust actually goes all the way to the second body mount on the driver's side before the axle, like the one close to the door. Almost need to replace half the frame. I think I will probably just part it out. I have a nice lifted ZJ that a friend is trading me for another car here that I think I will wheel until I can find a better CJ7/YJ/TJ.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Well in that case, why don't you just build a frame? I follow a few builds on Jeep Forum with frames built out of 2 x 4" .120 wall tubing. It really doesn't seem that overly complicated and can be tailored to your specific needs very easily. This is of course assuming that you have some pretty decent fab skills, but since you were planning a back half you most likely do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts