Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my first post to the forum just wanna say hello and thanks in advance for any and all help I get and any questions I can answer I will do my best!

So I found a killer deal on a TJ for 2500 bucks.

New clutch along with other things like radiator, battery, etc.

Problem is cylinder two has 14lbs of compression and the other three have around 150. I'm guessing maybe it needs a a valve job or a head gasket.

Would a busted piston still hold that small amount of compression or would there be none?

I am going down to check it out Monday and would like if anyone has tips what to look / listen for. Besides frame rot which the gentalman said it has minimal rust and no rot (I'll determine that myself).

This thing only had 121000 on it and it sounds like he is scared tk look further but also makes me feel like he knows there is more to the story. These jeeps go for 5 grand almost in the condition it's in.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'd say whether or not it's a bad piston, it's worth it. It's a good deal! As long as the rust is minimal. That's the thing I worry about. Everything else is fixable. Rebuilding the 2.5 is really an inexpensive proposition. It was 250$ for my head to be rebuilt with a valve job. About 50$ for gaskets. 20$ for timing chain kit. Etc etc. go for it!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Even if you put a Re-manufactured motor in it, it would still be a good deal....as long as the frame is not rusted out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys!

Yeah i am deff thinking about it, I have been looking for a jeep for a long time and I can do this work myself anyways. I got a machine shop who can resurface, pressure test, and fix what ever valves on the head for an ok price since CT is expensive as hell.

Body looks good on pictures and interior looks mint too, just missing back seats. I am calling him in the morning to set a plan to see it.

I was trying to find if the straight six would fix on this, do you guys know if there is a major difference in the engine bay since its a 2.5? I know sometimes motor mounts are different on bigger engines, sorry for the bombardment of questions new to jeeps and wanna learn.

·
Registered
343 Posts
motor mounts for sure are different...can't comment on the rest of the swap

If it indeed is rust free...jump on it

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
You would need everything from the 4.0, the engine, the ecm, the wiring harnesses, the ax15, transfercase, etc...its not as easy as most people think. If you want the 4.0 I would hold out and buy one that came with the 4.0

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent, yeah I'll stick with the four cylinder. I have been hearing great things about them, obviously they aren't as bullet proof as the straight six but have there been anything you guys heard negative? I had everyone I walked to which had to be twelve people, say great things except on who said some pretty negative things.

I can do the head work myself too I'm not worried at all. If it's a piston then I'll be a little bit more concerned. But I'll know for sure Monday when I go down how bad it is. At this point I'm just gonna grab it regardless because I can grab a used engine for cheap and use it.

I'll do a tear down towards the end of summer if all goes well and work on the frame try to get rid of any rust and reinforce it if it's not bad. I'll post some pictures of it

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought wheels for my escape that will fit on it too so I am happy about that. Just not gonna go too big on the tires just a little flashy.

I'm obviously gonna worry about it after I get it running.

I also just bought a fuel additive from Schaefer oil that people on this forum reccomended they said it's amazing so I'm gonna put that in and see if it cleans it up.

I really appreciate all your responses and all the help so far guys/gals. Thanks a ton

1 - 9 of 9 Posts