Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clicked the order button on a set of 3" Modern Classics Enterprises Fenders for my LJ and with tax and shipping I was looking at $430. For a couple dollars more I can get a steel replacement fender, and for like $200 more an aluminum replacement fender both available as a highline. I like the weight savings of the MCE fenders, and all the reviews I could find were positive, but $430 seems a little pricey for a pair of fender flares.

Is there anyone who has ran both the MCE and a tube fender? Or anyone have reason why I shouldn't run MCE's? I have about $800 to play with, what would you do?

By the way I wouldn't ever consider running a metalcloak fender so please don't recommend that.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I think the biggest thing is that the MCE fenders are made of plastic so they can absorb and deform when they get hit, where as some tube fenders are actually stronger then the tub, so in a collision with something the tube fenders will stay intact but possibly damage the tub.

Ive seen someone else from the forums with the MCE and I actually liked the way it looked and the way it fit. What turned me away was the price. IMO I dont think 300ish is worth it for plastic.

EDIT: Go with metalcloak :p

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I clicked the order button on a set of 3" Modern Classics Enterprises Fenders for my LJ and with tax and shipping I was looking at $430. For a couple dollars more I can get a steel replacement fender, and for like $200 more an aluminum replacement fender both available as a highline. I like the weight savings of the MCE fenders, and all the reviews I could find were positive, but $430 seems a little pricey for a pair of fender flares.

Is there anyone who has ran both the MCE and a tube fender? Or anyone have reason why I shouldn't run MCE's? I have about $800 to play with, what would you do?

By the way I wouldn't ever consider running a metalcloak fender so please don't recommend that.
$800? Metal CLoak and don't look back. MCE fenders IMO are overpriced for what they are.......cheap plastic. And you still gotta hack up your fenders to make em work.

With a 100% bolt on product like MC, you get full highline clearance, FULL proection, and a modular design. Plus you can now sell off your own UNHACKED fenders to help pay for em. I sold my fenders off and got about $500 for em. So in reality the MC fenders only cost me $300. ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts

I have smittybilt tube fenders on mine right now and I love them

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Another vote for metalcloaks. My order is in and processed, its going to be a few long weeks that I will have anxiety lol.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
I think we need to understand this comment as they are one of the best on the market and offer great clearance. What's your concern if you won't even consider them?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I think we need to understand this comment as they are one of the best on the market and offer great clearance. What's your concern if you won't even consider them?
They're ugly?

I have MCE's. I like them, but I wish I had went with tube fenders instead. At some point, I probably will.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Has anyone used or heard of someone who has Rustys fenders? There about 330.00,not bad.BUT I think Im going with Poison Spyder ones

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
They're ugly?

I have MCE's. I like them, but I wish I had went with tube fenders instead. At some point, I probably will.
You have MCE's and think Metalcloak are ugly? Uhm OK, I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Is it the arch? What abut the Overland model?

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Those plastic fenders wouldent last 5 min with me.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You have MCE's and think Metalcloak are ugly? Uhm OK, I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Is it the arch? What abut the Overland model?
Some ppl. like the cheap Wal-Mart look. :wavey:

Other ppl. like the classy agressive no nonsense look. :p

Attachments

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
it's the arch. The MCE's are shaped like original flat Jeep fenders, which are the only ones I really like. I should have waited and went with tube fenders, but one fender got crunched when I was pulling a Pathfinder out of a ditch and I went with the quick and easy fix. They'll work until I do something different.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why do you want to get rid of them and go to a tube fender? I'd love to hear some negative feedback because right now I'm leaning towards MCEs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't like them.

I've seen many sets in person and they are well made and no doubt innovative. Having said that, I think they're gimmicky and aimed towards people more concerned about looks and/or not cutting the hood, than about function. Like guys who run a big stinger, for no reason. There is obviously a market for them, but I'm not interested.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I was never a fan of the Metalcloak look or the price of them. I looked at TNT, Poison Spyder, Genright, etc when deciding on fenders and I always really liked the look of the MCEs. At the time the II Generation Flat fenders (I have these) were just out of the press and they had them for around $300 which was $200 cheaper than any other fender I liked. I really like the MCEs they have held up for about 3 years now and haven't had a single problem with them.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
I don't like them.

I've seen many sets in person and they are well made and no doubt innovative. Having said that, I think they're gimmicky and aimed towards people more concerned about looks and/or not cutting the hood, than about function. Like guys who run a big stinger, for no reason. There is obviously a market for them, but I'm not interested.
Fair enough, agree to disagree on that. I do agree you really need to Hi Line to get significant gains.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't like them.

How can you say a product that allows running much larger tires(35's), gives full perimeter tub protection, and gives you the option for remaining fully legal is gimmicky? :rofl:

IMO any company that charges 400 plus for an incomplete PLASTIC fender flare set that gives no protection, no wheel coverage(mud/rock guard), takes damage from extreme cold and heat and UV sun(yes they do)rays, just to try and partially emulate an old M38's look is what I can gimmicky.

You don't have to like the MC fenders, but Id still be looking at a true and full high clearance metal fender options....... bolt on or not from one of the other vendors at the very least. If your going to spend $400 or more at least make sure that what you receive in the mail is a bit more than 10 bucks worth of injected plastic. ;)

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
How can you say a product that gives full perimeter tub protection is gimmicky?
No FENDER gives perimeter tub protection. Sure, Metalcloak offers partial corners for an additional $400...but who wants to throw the unnecessary weight of steel on when there are proven companies out there making FULL corners out of aluminum for the same price.

and gives you the option for remaining fully legal
MCE has this option...3", 4.5", 6" flared versions. Actually they dont even have the ORIGINALS in stock anymore that could be illegal in some states.

IMO any company that charges 400 plus for an incomplete PLASTIC fender flare set that gives no protection
They are better than the brittle stuff like bushwacker pocket flares (not even a fender) for the same price. Also, if you are in a bind where your hood is being compromised...you probably have bigger issues ahead of you.

no wheel coverage(mud/rock guard)
They now offer this.

takes damage from extreme cold and heat and UV sun(yes they do)rays
Do you have any info on the extreme heat and cold damage? The guys that built this do tons of snow wheeling, so they get exposed to plenty of cold. I just went through one of the hottest summers here with temps hitting 120 degrees. While I will agree the original fenders will fade (nothing spray paint wont fix)...they have supposedly made a change in there new fenders to help with this.

Personally for me, I do not like the look of metalcloak either...they just don't look to flow with the rest of the jeep IMO. This doesn't mean some people don't like them. Get what you like. If it were me, for the cost of a rig wrapped in metalcloak...I could run hiline fenders and aluminum armor...in the end it would probably be cheaper, better protection coverage, and lighter.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
No FENDER gives perimeter tub protection. Sure, Metalcloak offers partial corners for an additional $400...but who wants to throw the unnecessary weight of steel on when there are proven companies out there making FULL corners out of aluminum for the same price.
100% Incorrect. MC Fenders give FULL BRACED perimeter protection when you use all their components TOGETHER. Their rock sliders lock into the front and rear fenders assemblies.

BTW, MC makes ALUMINUM options as well. I should know because I run them. ;) Jeep Aluminum Tube Fenders and Aluminum Corner Guards Even their modular front bumper base has an aluminum option.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts