Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anybody got some insight on these fenders? Anybody know what there made out of? Still got a lot of reasearch to do on these things but thought I ask if anybody ever ran them.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
they are fairly new in my eyes.. but ive been off playin marine for the last 9 months.. finally gettin around to using the internet again..

but they seem legit.. they are rubber (not sure what exactly) but at the same time.. dont offer the same protection that real tube fenders would

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I'm a steel tube fender guy; love my Genright G3 tube fenders. However, the people that run those MCE flatties sure seem to like them. They're inexpensive and relatively easy to install. I don't think I've heard anything bad about them from the people running them. PM Jerry Bransford, he ran a set on his '97 TJ. He did an extensive write-up on the install. He could give you any information you might need. Good luck, and pics are required if you get them!! :D

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
They are ABS plastic the same stuff they make football helmets out of. Love mine, I got my lites from them too.

A few shots at various points in the Jeeps life they flex real nice too if you rub on stuff.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Yep you have to cut the front and top off of the factory fender, you leave a lip about 2 inches wide to attach the new fender to.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I just ordered some, they should arrive this week...
just out of curiosity, do they come with the little side marker lights and that MCE sticker?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The lights are an option you have to order so they can drill the holes for and I'm sure if you ask Mike will send you stickers.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
i hope they come out with a flared version soon

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lost said:
i hope they come out with a flared version soon
Wait there not flared??? No stick out???

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
By flared he means that they cover the whole tire ie wider, as they are they cover about half of my 11.50 and in some states that's a no-no.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
330 Posts
Thank you guys for the interest and replies.

As DevilDog kindly pointed out, they are made of ABS plastic. The plastic is 100% virgin (highest grade) with a proprietary UV/weather blocker "molded in" as part of the manufacturing process. (If you do some research, the official term for the UV blocker molded in is called a "cap") They are 100 percent made in America starting with the base material stock coming from a mill in the US.

Also as pointed out, we currently only offer the fenders in a regular width, which is only as wide as the OE fender without the OE flare attached.

This does leave the tire sticking out, whether that is a good thing or bad thing is up to you. It has been a very long time coming but we are currently making some progress on a wide fender for those who wish to cover the tires such as the OE flare would, and more coverage optional. The current fenders are not street legal in our home state, and although we drive our personal Jeeps almost daily and have yet to be hassled (knock on wood), we would like the option to be street legal.

For installation, they do require cutting of the OE fender. Basically the front, top, and part of the back edge of the wheel well gets trimmed off and our fenders go over the trimmed area. Here is a quick picture I have handy of a YJ, but the TJ is similar:

We do provide instructions as well as a cutting template, although in reality the cuts do not need to be extremely accurate. If anyone would like to see a copy of the instructions send me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a copy.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts

·
Sponsoring Vendor
330 Posts
Thanks for the good word Jerry, and that is a nice thing to do for your friend. :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Could you give me just a rough time you'll get the flared ones out? These things look AWESOME but i want my rig street legal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts