Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was doing a lot of research on this when I decided to get an aftermarket muffler, and a lot of the comments I saw from people was that the flowmaster was WAAAAY to loud for them. So that might be an option.

I ended up putting the magnaflow performance exhaust on mine. It will never rumble like my mustang GT did, clearly, but I think it still sounds pretty nice, and aesthetically, it is a no brainer compared to the stock.

Reactions: jku007fl

·
Super Moderator
8,190 Posts
Magnaflow Rock Crawler.

Reactions: JeepR kReapR

·
Registered
528 Posts
Mean sounding? Then get a Hemi, a 6cyl will never sound mean, it'll just sound ricey. lol

Attachments

Reactions: 2qik2see

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
So I have the Dynomax 39522. With the hard top on from inside it was fine, loud but fine. Take the top and doors off and it was really tough to deal with. I actually spliced in a Dynomax race bullet in front of it. Pushed the muffler backbut it still dumps pre axle. Sounds MUCH better. Really softened the tone and is much easier to deal with.

That said, had my stock muffler not been damaged I would still be running it. I agree that you can't make it sound much better. I just went with the pre axle dump to free up space back there, not for sound.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have the 409 Stainless American Thunder from Flowmaster. It is loud when you get on it but it's not to noticeable at idle and when your cruising but it makes noise when you get on it. I can really hear it going through the parking ramp at work. It sounds good from outside the Jeep.

If your putting it on a 4 door it is an easy install except for the front factory clamp bolt. Some people drop the skid plate but I just reached up there and was able to turn it no problem. Be aware the factory clamps on mine were welded to the pipe so when I got them loose I couldn't turn them to make them easier to access. I didn't have any issue with the install as I have a 4" lift, but I did have to install a rear sway bar drop bracket as the over axle pipe ended up about a 1/4 inch from the bar. The drop bracket dropped it about an inch for clearance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I disagree with the “rice-burner” sounding exhaust claims, at least with the aftermarket exhaust system I bought.

I was concerned about how it would sound before I bought it, but I did not want a loud obnoxious constant drone and I did not want a quite exhaust. I did want something that made some noise when I punched it. And after reading many posts, people talked about how their exhaust choice was affected about how loud it sounds specifically inside the Jeep while driving. People were talking about how the loud drone was causing headaches and they couldn’t keep conversation because it was so loud. The last and definite no-go choice was for a flowmaster. My personal opinion is that flowmaster should go on nothing less than a V8. A flowmaster will be loud for sure.

After emailing the company, I ended up buying the Dynomax 39523 Ultra Flo Polished Stainless Steel Cat-Back Single Exhaust System. This one has a low idle growl to it and when you punch it, it is noticeable and sounds aggressive. I was picky about my choice because I hate rice burners and was definitely not going to go with something like Borla or whatever other choices they throw on there to avoid the risk of that stupid noise the burners put out.

At speed on the highway there is a mild to moderate noticeable drone, which you can feel the hum while inside the cab. I can tell you that if you are sitting in the back, it will be much louder.

You may want to consider that. I’m happy with what I got, but if I would have gotten the louder option, I would have replaced it immediately.

I also have a Ruggedness ridge snorkel intake XHD I think, and a programmer, so it’s running smoothly. It sounds aggressive from the inside and from the outside. For a V6, it sounds pretty good.

Dynomax gives you some sound clips to hear their exhaust. If this is your daily driver I’d go with what I got. If you’re off-roading or won’t be driving long distances regularly, then by all means, go loud.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not too long after I got my JK, I came down on a rock that wiped out the stock trash can sized muffler. I took it to a muffler shop that specializes in hot rods and trucks. They built me a system that is tucked up out of the way, and sounds good. And, it is all welded. They fitted several mufflers and let me choose. I went with a Dynomax. I drove it for a couple of days, and it was too loud for me. I took it back to the shop they installed a 12" resonator. They only charged for the part with no additional labor. It has a nice growl to it at low RPM and has a nice aggressive tone when floored, but it is not obnoxious or ricey. No, it doesn't sound like a V8. The whole deal including labor was far less than any of the popular bolt on systems.

·
Super Moderator
15,155 Posts
Any exhaust on a V8 conversion... Otherwise, don't bother. I'd choose the aFe high tuck for the ground clearance, not the sound... Even though, they sound decent.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
"Meanest" sounding exhaust

Meanest sounding exhaust?

One where your jeep is wheeling through the woods and all you can hear is a few snapping twigs and the crunch of dry leaves.

I second that, who needs noise out in the boonies. I can get all I can stomach in town.

What I would like is an exhaust that improves the rear clearance and has a sound level of factory. Any recommendations anyone?

Reactions: Viaqua
21 - 31 of 31 Posts