- 2 small screws
- screw driver
- eye balls

1/ jack up front axle and support with stands
2/ pick a tread block on each tire and screw a screw in each
3/ Measure 1/2 up tires, rotate screw to that 1/2 point
4/ run tape across and write down number
5/ repeat in the rear

Your reading should be smaller in the front.
1/16 to 1/8

In my case 1/16-1/8 :)

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Brilliant. I have read some people say to jack the jeep up, others say to leave it on the ground. Do you think it matters?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Brilliant. I have read some people say to jack the jeep up, others say to leave it on the ground. Do you think it matters?
You can't rotate the tires when they are on the ground, also your toe shouldn't change just your camber when lifting them off the ground

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
So you didn't take the screws out and replace them in the back , you just rotated the tires until the screws were in the back ?

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,001 Posts
View attachment 2183633

^^^When I worked on a front end alignment rack, many moons ago. The wheels were raised and scribed. Then lowered back down. Next we measured with a alignment bar, and adjusted accordingly!!!!!!!!!

This is the way that both Hunter and Weaver alignment Reps, taught us to do it!
That was applicable to both solid axle and IFS. Most of the pick up trucks back then were solid axle, with leaf springs. Caster was adjusted with tapered shims under the springs. The cars were IFS. The IFS, was shimmed on the upper A-frame, for both caster and camber.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^^When I worked on a front end alignment rack, many moons ago. The wheels were raised and scribed. Then lowered back down. Next we measured with a alignment bar, and adjusted accordingly!!!!!!!!! This is the way that both Hunter and Weaver alignment Reps, taught us to do it! That was applicable to both solid axle and IFS. Most of the pick up trucks back then were solid axle, with leaf springs. Caster was adjusted with tapered shims under the springs. The cars were IFS. The IFS, was shimmed on the upper A-frame, for both caster and camber.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
157 Posts
where did you learn this insane method from?

google alignment strings and read up on that proven method. the alignment strings gives you real measurements you can work with and adjust toe. plus the suspension is loaded giving the correct on road geometry so you can take accurate measurements.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
where did you learn this insane method from?google alignment strings and read up on that proven method. the alignment strings gives you real measurements you can work with and adjust toe. plus the suspension is loaded giving the correct on road geometry so you can take accurate measurements.
Voices in my head :rofl:,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts