Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

Just registered here, so first off: My name's Shane, and hello :)

So, I've got a 2006 Rubicon that needs some work, and I have a few questions for you guys.

The work I need done is:

- One of my front sway bars is broken, needs to be replaced
- Combo switch is broken, keeps my fog lights on all the time, needs to be replaced
- Passenger door weather strip is split, so part of it pinches out when you close the door and makes it hard to open, needs to be replaced
- Because the door is so hard to open, the exterior door handle has popped out a little at the bottom from so much yanking.

I'm not very experienced with working on cars, so I took it to the mechanic to get some quotes. As I expected, they came back pretty high: $215 to replace the front sway bars (they said they want to replace them both so they don't have different wear); $399 to replace both the weather strip and the door handle (I don't even know if the handle needs to be replaced, it may just have to be bent back in); and $300 to replace the combo switch.

So my question is: Are any of those things simple enough where I'd be better off just doing it myself? I've got tools, and I'm pretty confident in my ability to figure these things out, with whatever proper guidance I could find on the internet. I've found some nice write-ups on how to fix the door handle (which is actually how I found this forum).

Any help or suggestions anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
291 Posts
to be honest thats all decently easy stuff to do. just get some guidance, good instructions and basic tools and your set. It took me 10 minutes to replace my sway bar. It'll be a great learning experience to just jump in and do it yourself. Get a friend and have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to hear. I was thinking it would be nice to save some money while getting some experience at the same time. Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Technically, you'd be replacing the end links on the sway bar. That consists of like 2 bolts on each side. It's an easy job. If you're jeep isn't lifted, you might find some stock links for cheap on here.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yessir, I'd strongly suggest doing it yourself.
Since you say front swaybarS, I'm going to agree with JSY, and say that you're not replacing the swaybar, but the link. It's about $40 at O'Rileys Auto, and comes with instructions in the box. I replaced my drivers side on in July, and still have the OEM one on the other side. No ill effects from this. But my new one is greasable, so I'll probably swap out the other one when it warms up, now that I think about it...

The weatherstripping is pretty easy to replace too. If you have a small spot that's hanging up (as described), you might consider trimming that spot a little so it doesn't get hung up any more, until you get the seal replaced. (Keep in mind, trimming it may create a leak!)

The only thing I see on your list that I wouldn't just 'grab a beer and wrench and get to it', is the combo switch. But then I don't have one, so I dunno how hard or easy that will be. I believe there are a few threads on here that talk about replacing it though.

This forum is a great fountain of information from many very helpful people.

Welcome to the Forum :wavey:

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
From what you said they want $914 to do it.
You can do it for far less.

I'd suggest you get the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL too. Not the Chilton''s or other generic manuals, but the FACTORY ONE.

E bay has them sometimes, and they are available on CD's for cheap. It will prove invaluable in the future, saving you hundreds more.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In addition to saving money, if you do it yourself you'll have much more satisfaction and sense of ownership of the Jeep.

·
Commercial Member
125 Posts
Get a manual, take your time, research, get a good look at the parts which need to be replaced, post pics and questions here. If working on the underside and dealing with corrosion/rusted bolts go slow and have patience. I snapped a few when all I would have needed was a little heat.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
You'll love it... working on 'em is fun.

You shouldn't have near the hard time I did changing sway bar links. With mine being a 94'YJ I had to heat them up with torches just to get the bolt to come out.

You'll want some sockets, maybe a rubber hammer, screwdriver set, just the basics for those linkages.

As for the body, it depends how bad the problem is. If you can come up with a logical way to fix it, or post pics of each problem for insight, should'nt be that hard to do. As well, I would try to find someone with body shop experience to help with those rather than a technician. The tech says "replace the door handle" yup... another certified parts replacer! Its probably only a bent clip or some other 20 cent part causing the issues.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
On the fog lights, you could do what I did and wire a new setup into a home made switch box mounted on your dash (I used mounting tape so I wouldn't have to drill any holes. *It works better because you can then use your fog lights as auxiliary lights with your hi beams on. *I replaced my stock fog lights with 2x6 KC HiLites, but it should be fairly easy to do it with the stock ones if you wanted to keep them.

·
Administrator
30,780 Posts
They've pretty much got that covered for you so.........

Welcome to the Forum Shane

·
Official WF thread de-railer
3,952 Posts
Welcome!!

There are a few reasons to use a mechanic in my mind:

1. Warranty work
2. You lack the skill to comfortably do the work yourself
3. Money is no object to you, but even then, I like to work on my own cars
4. You don't have the free time

Best way to learn is to just get in there and do it. Anything mechanical can be fixed or replaced. Jeeps are pretty forgiving to work on. If you mess up, it shouldn't be too expensive to fix (engine/transmission aside).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Another thing is, it isn't completely necessary to have a sway bar at all. I drove around for a few days with mine disconnected just to see the difference and there's not much difference except for fast turns. It isn't recommended though as it is easier to roll is you for whatever reason have to do some evasive maneuvers...

And welcome to the forum!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts