Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats a good mechanical CAD program for mac? besides google sketch up,
what does everyone here use?

( for designing bumpers, stingers, rock rails, etc. )

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
whats a good mechanical CAD program for mac? besides google sketch up,
what does everyone here use?

( for designing bumpers, stingers, rock rails, etc. )
Solidworks sets the bar for 3D CAD. You need a real computer to run it effectively.

Google Sketchup is for elementary school.

My complete YJ build is in Solidworks. Feel free to check it out in the link on my sig.:thumb:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solidworks sets the bar for 3D CAD. You need a real computer to run it effectively.

My complete YJ build is in Solidworks. Feel free to check it out in the link on my sig.:thumb:
im guessing its not free ? hahaha

·
Registered
14,065 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No...But if you are a student you can get a student version for free.
high school student going into college , im not sure how'd that work out for me.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Contact Solidworks tell them what you want to do. You will be surprised.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but it would be for more personal use for me to fab up bumpers and all that good stuff for me and friends off mine that we have made before,
but i will contact them and see what they say!

·
Registered
103 Posts

Would you want to share some sld models?? Frame & body maybe? :).

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Raidan said:
Would you want to share some sld models?? Frame & body maybe? :).
I would be willing to share all the models that I downloaded.

I have a YJ frame, Walker Evans beadlockers, tires and Rockwell axles.

Check my build thread to see the models and PM your email for the file.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As a professional engineer, I can't say enough about SolidWorks. Most people think that freeware or crowd sourced programs hold their own against their pricey companions, but not in a niche field such as 3D modeling. SolidWorks is based on a UI that can be simple and easy to follow for beginners, but can also blow your mind with features as you advance. However, since SolidWorks is Windows only at the moment, you're likely stuck with any of the B-rate software that can be found through a quick google search.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
have you ever heard anything good about autodesk inventor fusion ? or worked with wit?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
I have done work with autodesk. It is ok.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Inventor is good. Fusion is a stripped down version. Solid works is good but you want free at this point. If you have linux installed somewehre you can get a free software called, you guessed it, freecad. I have not used it because I have inventor and solidworks but a coworker says it is pretty good. If you install Unbuntu it comes in the program depository

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, i have been messing around with Autodesk fusion alittle, laying out the plans for a trailer build at my welding job, already had sketchs from the buyer but figured it would be a opperetuntiy to get a little practice in my spare time.

Also im not looking for it to be absoutly free, just kinda cheaper.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
have worked with autocad, cadkey, unigraphics, solidworks and inventor. To model I like solidworks, to see it through and detail it I like Inventor. I think all offer student seats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Solidworks has a free 2D download. I haven't used it. I know there used to be a free 3D download out there. I used it while in college.

Here is the link:

Free CAD Software Downloads from SolidWorks

Inventor is ok, but don't try to do anything too complex or you'll run into a lot of constraint issues. It's fine if you want to do a lot of basic parts and mate them together. It also has a nice transition to Ansys if you want to do any FEA.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As a professional Design Engineer I use Solid Works on my Mac- Book Pro I love how it works on it. My work Windows Desktop HP is not as good. I do all my design and programming (cam) in it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts