Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '07 JK has 101K miles and is running well. Just recently, however, when I put the gas on after coming to a complete stop, I hear what sounds like a low level "thump" sound. It appears to be coming from the rear of the vehicle and is not very loud. But it's now consistent, every time the vehicle begins moving again.

Might any of you have some idea what this might be?

I took my mechanic out and he couldn't hear it, so he's no help at this time.

Thanks!
Tom

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Is your Jeep stock? Crawl around underneath - is anything scraping? Sway bar, springs, track bar, shock mounts, bumpstops? What does your rear driveshaft look like? Also look at joints or bushings in the suspension - if one is bad it may thump when the load on it changes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do you also feel the thump in the floorboard or is it just a sound? Second is the sound only a thump or is there a little crinkling sound with it. Like slowly crumpling tinfoil maybe. I was going to say stepping on thin ice covered in a little snow down about -10f but I see you are also from the sunny south so you may not know what that sounds like.

What have you done for Mods to the Jeep? Lift type, driveshafts, lockers? How old are each of the modifications? This could help point at wear items to check.

Lunatic Fridge

·
Registered
501 Posts
Bust out the wrenches and check torque on ALL suspension bolts.

If it still exists, you'll be looking into driveline u-joint stuff.

I've found surprisingly loose bolts in the past on my XJ, YJ's and even a loose shock bolt on my JK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts