Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

2401 - 2420 of 2439 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm giving up on buying bumpers for my JK and JKU. I've ordered 5 (2 brands from 2 companies) and all 4 have been damaged when they arrived. The first 2 were for my wife's JKU. I was able to salvage parts from both to make 1 good bumper. The store I ordered from had great customer service so I ordered a front bumper for my JK. The original showed up damaged and the replacement was just as bad with gouges in the metal and large chunks of paint flaked off.

I ordered a rear bumper for the JK and the box was broken in half and retaped. The bumper looked like one end was dragged across the pavement. I'm pretty sure the issue is the shipping carrier. Who knows how many hands or machines it's touched and a 5' to 6' long box weighing upwards of 100 pounds is a challenge for a driver to handle by themself. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the carrier will be held accountable. The shop just issues an RMA and ships a replacement in hopes one will finally arrive undamaged.

Is my story unique or are others experiencing the same?
I bought my front and rear DV8 bumpers from Extreme Terrain. Both in the box were pretty heavy. They came very well packaged, spray foam in the entire box, no issues whatsoever. Maybe give them a shot!

·
Registered
607 Posts
I bought my front and rear DV8 bumpers from Extreme Terrain. Both in the box were pretty heavy. They came very well packaged, spray foam in the entire box, no issues whatsoever. Maybe give them a shot!

Both of the manufacturers attempted to wrap/pad the bumpers but neither went to the extent that DV8 did with your front bumper. Magnaflow does the same with their exhausts, and my Rancho geometry brackets were packed with spray foam also. I think that use of spray foam is a good idea, better than the options Paramount and ABR used which still allow movement in the box, though ABR was pretty good. Ultimately, it took having my bumper delivered via freight carrier rather than UPS to get one that wasn't damaged.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts

Attachments

·
Banned
5 Posts
I've got a full kitted Stealth, excellent condition, six months old (still under warranty), sixty miles
  • blue caguamas dyed royal purple,
  • original wheels,
  • yellow nipples,
  • triple 8 helmet,
  • extra romp belts and bumpers I just put the cags on,
  • only have about four miles on them.
Kills me to sell it but my dog just came down with heart cancer and I'm scrounging every dollar I can...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Poison Spyder Crawler bumper installed. The inside nuts were a bear to get on because of Rubicon sway bar motor. It took about an hour to install solo. The welds are clean and the spyder coating is superb. I am not a fan of the open crash bar look- may invest in a skid plate. Winch going on next week.

20200607_113541.jpg 20200607_113550.jpg 20200607_113558.jpg 20200607_113611.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been looking at bumpers for my Rubicon. I made myself a master list and figured that the info I collected could help others. I know that I don't have every single front bumper offered for the JK (2012 in my case), so if you guys want to contribute to this thread I think it could be a really useful research tool. The parameters I entered for each one were important points for me, but feel free to add additional info, especially in the areas that I could not get, like the weight or modification needs in some cases. Also, the pricing are rough numbers. I'm sure in some cases that a lower price can be had, I was just doing general searches and the majority of the time was using the prices from a handful of companies. Enjoy.

Full Width

AEV Premium
• Construction: 3/16” steel substructure, 1/8” steel outer shell, 3” tube, polyethylene (crush can covers), Stamped perforated stainless steel
• Weight: 116lbs
• Finish: Textured black powder coat
• Frame Modification: Air Pump relocation and bracket cutting
• Airbag Approved
• Price: $1199

AEV Premium Tubeless
• Construction: 3/16” steel substructure, 1/8” steel outer shell, polyethylene (crush can covers), Stamped perforated stainless steel
• Weight:109lbs
• Finish: Textured black powder coat
• Frame Modification: Air Pump relocation and bracket cutting
• Airbag Approved
• Price: $1099

ARB Rockbar
• Construction:
• Weight:
• Finish: black powder coat
• Frame Modification: Bracket cutting if installing winch
• Price: $697

ARB Deluxe Bar
• Construction:
• Weight:
• Frame Modification: Cutting of crush cans, Bracket cutting if installing winch, fog light wiring modification
• Airbag Approved
• Price: $912

Aries
• Construction: 3/16" Steel
• Weight: 110lbs
• Frame Modification: Air Pump relocation
• Price: $595

Bestop highrock 4x4
• Construction:
• Weight:
• Finish: black
• Frame Modification:
• Price: $599

Expedition one Trail Series Front Bumper
• Construction: 1" steel, 0.12 inch wall tubing
• Weight: 105lbs
• Finish: Option
• Frame Modification:
• Price: $1,029 (no coat) $1109 (black powder coat)

FabFours Lifestyle
• Construction: 3/16" steel
• Weight: 115lbs
• Frame Modification:
• Price: $1,330

Hanson Full Size FenderBar
• Construction: 3/16” steel, winch bar is constructed of 1 ¾” diameter x .120 wall tubing, fender bars are constructed of 1 5/8” x .120 wall tubing
• Weight:
• Finish: powder coated black
• Frame Modification:
• Price: $899

Hanson Euro Spec Full Width
• Construction: 3/16" steel
• Weight:
• Finish: powder coat black
• Frame Modification:
• Price: $899

MetalCloak
• Construction: 3/16” steel
• Weight:
• Finish: satin black powder coat
• Frame Modification:
• Price: $309(base) $299 (70" flare caps 3/16" steel) $129 (winch guard)

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD
• Construction:
• Weight:
• Finish: Textured Black or Stainless Steel
• Frame Modification:
• Price: BASE $399 (non winch) $409 (winch) $929 (SS non winch); HOOP $59 (black hoop) $129 (SS hoop) $209 (stinger) $389 (pre-runner Guard); END CAP $179 (black) $259 (Storage) $159 (Tubular) $369 (SS end) $289 (SS Tubular)
Great share!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I would avoid any bumper that does not have a recessed winch mount. You are just blocking airflow to your radiator.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would avoid any bumper that does not have a recessed winch mount. You are just blocking airflow to your radiator.
I was also worried about this years ago and contacted WARN with my concerns. I was told not to worry as rock crawling and other low speed activities we do with our jeeps already have minimal airflow. At speeds, there is plenty of room for airflow. The only difference may be the radiators fan switching on and off.

I have since had both. I live in Texas- it is hot. Engine temp is no different recessed vs top mount.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I was also worried about this years ago and contacted WARN with my concerns. I was told not to worry as rock crawling and other low speed activities we do with our jeeps already have minimal airflow. At speeds, there is plenty of room for airflow. The only difference may be the radiators fan switching on and off.

I have since had both. I live in Texas- it is hot. Engine temp is no different recessed vs top mount.
Others have a very different opinion.

2401 - 2420 of 2439 Posts