Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a huge all doors/everything off kind of guy in the warm weather, but I must say, when I'm travelling with some kids in the back of my wrangler unlimited I get a bit uneasy.

I've seen the tube doors with the mesh covering and they look super cool and look like they could provide enough safety and "peace of mind" factor.

However, the price is not super cool at all:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11149_1013_07.htm

Anyone run into anything more reasonable?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I'm a huge all doors/everything off kind of guy in the warm weather, but I must say, when I'm travelling with some kids in the back of my wrangler unlimited I get a bit uneasy.

I've seen the tube doors with the mesh covering and they look super cool and look like they could provide enough safety and "peace of mind" factor.

Thanks
Tubular doors are expensive...that is what I run, love them and get tons of compliments.

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts

Thanks
Tubular doors are expensive...that is what I run, love them and get tons of compliments.
. That is one fine looking jeep.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Try making them. Quickly becomes obvious why they cost what they do.
They are quite stout, heavy - I would hope that translates into a little structural integrity in the event of an accident. Getting the latches lined up perfectly is pretty difficult, I got real lucky with my driver's side door, but passenger's side requires a little manual rotation of the latch to get it to open. Exiting is not a problem on all 4 doors and the 2nd row entry while not butter smooth, seems to work fine.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
They are quite stout, heavy - I would hope that translates into a little structural integrity in the event of an accident. Getting the latches lined up perfectly is pretty difficult, I got real lucky with my driver's side door, but passenger's side requires a little manual rotation of the latch to get it to open. Exiting is not a problem on all 4 doors and the 2nd row entry while not butter smooth, seems to work fine.
Sweet. Wish I could own them......:pullinghair:

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
My Body Armor doors are Gen II and I've had them 3 years now. There's a reason they aren't as cheap as some others and that is their quality. My grandkids love them and they do allow for a bit of safety so I love them too. Either shop around for price or ask for the forum discount and go ahead and bite the bullet. You won't be sorry. This is an old pic. A lot of things have changed since then.

Attachments

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have the Body Armor Gen II's, they look exactly the same as the Gen III's. I love them and get a lot of compliments on them. I prefer doorless but my wife doesn't so I go the tube doors. I was lucky and got mine 2 years about when they were on sale, I believe they were $225 for the rears and $225 for the fronts at 4 Wheel parts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the mesh...this doesn't come with the tube door right? Has to be purchased separately?

I am quite tempted by these. Look super cool. May bite the bullet.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
And the mesh...this doesn't come with the tube door right? Has to be purchased separately?

I am quite tempted by these. Look super cool. May bite the bullet.
The mesh comes with the door on these. Other manufacturers make you buy such things separately. You do need to come up with mirrors though. I mounted TJ mirrors I picked up new for less than $50.

BTW they look strange with only the rears in my opinion. It has nothing to do with being able to "handle yourself."

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
The mesh comes with the door on these. Other manufacturers make you buy such things separately. You do need to come up with mirrors though. I mounted TJ mirrors I picked up new for less than $50.

BTW they look strange with only the rears in my opinion. It has nothing to do with being able to "handle yourself."
They have mirrors as an accessory for the Gen III they work well.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
When you refer to safety, what exactly are you trying to improve? They don't seem to add much compared to doorless. Never really saw a use for them, but I'm not driving around with young kids in the back, so I guess I'm missing something?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Out of curiosity, do the rear doors have child safety locks? Seems like a silly question, I know, but it would be nice to know that there's little chance of the rear doors flying open while on the road/trail/beach.

*ETA*
It looks like they don't have any sort of locking mechanism at all so I have the answer to my question...

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
When you refer to safety, what exactly are you trying to improve? They don't seem to add much compared to doorless. Never really saw a use for them, but I'm not driving around with young kids in the back, so I guess I'm missing something?
You don't think having tubular doors is safer than riding doorless?

1. With a properly equipped proximity sensor alarm (i.e. Viper) it provides more security when parked.
  2. It offers an armrest while driving.
  3. It offers some protection from you falling out of Jeep if you forgot your seatbelt.
  4. It would offer more protection from getting T-Boned than nothing at all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts