Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased what I've come to decide is a "new" Factory 2nd EAG Full-width Bumper off eBay. Total was $220 w/ Free Shipping... First, I advise against trying to cheap out on this. I thought "how can they mess up a bumper?" Well, let me tell you:
- It was poorly packaged. Looks like it was wrapped in some thin padding and a tarp. Not a box. Numerous scratches all over.
- Missing mounting nuts
- Painted over the bolt posts
- It's not centered

So I was able to spray it with a textured black paint to match what was on it and cover the scratches. I then had to re-thread the posts and buy nuts/washers etc. But I'm not sure what I can do about centering it. Because it's a full-width and was suppose to line up with the fenders. Maybe not too noticeable but it bugs me. It needs to shift 3/4" to the driver side to even out. Anyone have a similar experience and know of a suggestion?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Thanks for sharing your ebay bumper experience so others don't do the same. Generally re-centering 3/4"+ will involve making new holes on the mounts, bumpers or whatever. Might want to preemptivly treat the bumper against rust especially the inner structures and welds.

·
Registered
504 Posts
wrap a tow hook around that sh*t and give a good one time pull. That should help with only being 3/4" off center.

·
Super Moderator
9,097 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I was looking at an EAG roof rack until I read the online reviews. It reads like cheap Chinese manufacturing at its worst.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about your experience.

I was looking at an EAG roof rack until I read the online reviews. It reads like cheap Chinese manufacturing at its worst.
I should clarify... If you get the authentic EAG products, it might be ok. I think what I purchased on eBay was a factory second OF the EAG bumper. The EAG-equivalent goes for around $350ish I think. But I got this for $220.

Regarding spacer plates, that won't work because its a left/right issue, not forward back. The only option I can tell so far is perhaps boring out the post holes on the frame plate and moving it to the right (Dr-side).

Regarding the tow-hooks - LoL, that reminds me of how I straightened my old Triumph Spitfire. Chained the back to the tree, the front to my dad's truck and gunned it! #RedneckFrameStraightening

·
Registered
150 Posts
I bought my EAG Stubby front bumper from Amazon and it came packaged surprisingly well and had no flaws whatsoever. Been on for a couple months now and no chipping or rust. Granted this was purchased brand new and not a factory 2nd but it just sounds like you encountered a bad experience. Sometimes buying new and spending a few extra dollars is worth it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I bought front and rear EAG bumpers from Amazon. Started rusting right away and here is what they looked like 2 years later.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would have returned it but I was weighing my time to repackage and ship back, and reinstalled my old bumper and do this all over again... I should have shipped it back when it arrived battered and beaten. Lesson learned.

While I’ve got ya guys here tho.... gotta put my license plate on. I’m not putting a winch on anytime soon, so was going to mount it over the fairlead hole. Is there a mount available that works well? Also, a plate cover on the top where the winch would have gone?

·
Registered
556 Posts
One of my coworkers has a similar front bumper. He put a 2x4 behind the bumper and ran a couple screws through the license plate into the wood. It works.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I would have returned it but I was weighing my time to repackage and ship back, and reinstalled my old bumper and do this all over again... I should have shipped it back when it arrived battered and beaten. Lesson learned.
Yep, That's why I still had them 2 years later.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Being off 3/4 of an inch is actually good, any less and a fix would be difficult. You just need to make some offset plates 3/16" steel should work. Drill 8 holes in them. 4 for the stock location and 4 more exactly 3/4 of an inch on center over. That said if the mounting surface bumper side is totally flat it will not allow it to mate, in that case you would need to weld the offset plate in place or cut/trill the mating surface to allow for 2 of the bolts to be there. You might also need to if the frame side plate does not allow you to move over 3/4 inch and manage to get a bolt head in there.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Buddy of mine has a "factory seconds" hoodie. The Packers logo isn't centered. That is part of the joys of buying discount stuff at discount prices.

Your best bet is to cut the mounts off, reweld and repaint or just live with it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
There was a reason it was a Factory second. Apparently, the mounts were the reason. Missing hardware is probably another reason.

·
Registered
301 Posts

While I’ve got ya guys here tho.... gotta put my license plate on. I’m not putting a winch on anytime soon, so was going to mount it over the fairlead hole. Is there a mount available that works well? Also, a plate cover on the top where the winch would have gone?
just some advise from a logistics professional for anyone reading who may find themselves in a similar situation. If it looks packaged poorly and you are suspect of the condition, ask the carrier if you can inspect it before signing for it. If you have any doubts just refuse the delivery... a lot easier to sort out a return if you can accurately claim you never took delivery of the product.

I understand it's not always possible but just a tip

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds like its more effort to repair than it's worth. Even if you modify it to fit, the inferior quality will likely have you replacing it sooner than later anyway.

Life is full of lessons and many times those lessons are expensive. You have learned from this purchase and it sounds like you wouldn't do it again. Consider it a life lesson and move on. Many of my mistakes have cost me WAY more than $225. LOL

Sometimes its better to just cut your losses and move on. Get the bumper you want and throw the chinese one on craigslist and sell it to someone local for $100. It should go quick and then you can get yourself a good one and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts