Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I ordered some poison spider rocker panels and tried to install them today. Pre drilled all the holes with the panels on and started to put in the nutzerts. While doing them I found it to be overly difficult, and some of them I could not get to tighten down all the way. Eventually after putting several in I ligned up the panel to see if all was well. One if the nutzerts somehow ended up 1/4 inch off. How can I go about fixing this? My thoughts were to just cut a 1x1 square out, and weld in a patch, but I don't know anyone with a mig welder and cannot afford one right now either. Are there any other options for a permanent fix?

I considered myself fairly mechanically inclined till today:facepalm:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about that as well. While I know that would work, if still like to do it "right." Knowing it was like that would bug the heck outa me. So far my ideas are to cut and weld, drill the nutzerts out and wallow the hole out enough for the holes to line up, this would be the easiest but is not whag I want to do. Or just take it somewhere and have my screw up fixed. 4wp quoted me nearly 300 to install them, I don't know how they'd go about fixing what I've already done so I'm sure il be more than that actually.

·
Registered
23,974 Posts
I thought about that as well. While I know that would work, if still like to do it "right." Knowing it was like that would bug the heck outa me. So far my ideas are to cut and weld, drill the nutzerts out and wallow the hole out enough for the holes to line up, this would be the easiest but is not whag I want to do. Or just take it somewhere and have my screw up fixed. 4wp quoted me nearly 300 to install them, I don't know how they'd go about fixing what I've already done so I'm sure il be more than that actually.
You can drill it out and use thi. Washers on the nutserts or go to the next size.?

·
Registered
210 Posts
If it's a 1/4 inch you could probably enlarge the hole in the panel and find some "cool" looking washers for all the bolts that hold it on (to cover up the enlarged hole). Basically make the panel hole fit the nutzert.

FYI those things are the tool of the devil unless you have the expensive tool to install them...the cheap nutzert tools are a waste of time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never heard I'd these things till today. If I plan on finishing the install myself it will be with the tool. I think this weekend I'm going to start with grinding down the rough edges around the holes I've drilled so far and see how the rest of them line up. Of this is the only one off I'm not its not a big deal, my worry is that several of them will be off. Also, with the tool for them help tighten the ones I've already done? A couple of them still spin somewhat freely. The tool PSC sends with the kit is Absolutely garbage. It lasted through 5 or so before the washer was ground down and the head of the bolt was rounded off. I tried using both a ratchet and a drill. Same results with each.

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Can you just put a fender washer and a nut on the bolt?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just did the teraflex sliders which use those stupid things too. The teraflex video actually tells you to drill out the holes on the slider up one size to give a little room for error on install. Also I used a punch to mark all my holes while the rails were held in place with a jack

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I still say nutserts are the worst thing I have encountered for the jeep yet. I hate the buggers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I still say nutserts are the worst thing I have encountered for the jeep yet. I hate the buggers.
using the "free" tool that comes with most kits definitely makes these a real PITA. if you splurge the $70 on amazon for the right tool, they are easy - this is the one i bought after messing up my first rocker! it also came with extra nutserts to replace the one's i ruined....

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts