Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By far, the messiest oil change I have had to deal with, ever. Here is a summary of my experience:

1- I needed to use ramps, I could not comfortably fit under the car to remove the oil drain plug.

2- The oil shoots out of the drain plug hole like a cannon, a bucket is mandatory, I had one of those square oil catch thingies, and nearly a quarter of the oil ended up on the driveway.

3- This car is a prime candidate for the Fumoto oil drain valve, which I will buy as soon as I have a chance. I can install a tube on the tip of the Fumoto valve and a hose which will make the process very clean.

4- Some folks like to pre-fill their oil filters, sorry guys, that is simply impossible to do on the Jeep with the oil filter sitting sideways, taking off the filter resulted in more than half the oil inside it spilling on the frame

5- Filled her up with Ford Motorcraft semi-synthetic 10W-30 and used OEM Mopar oil filter.

The process was straight forward but in my case very messy, I will be better prepared next time!

·
Registered
207 Posts
When you start to loosen up that drain plug, just before you take it out by hand..put a little bit of pressure on the bolt with your fingers until you get it all the way out. That should help it from shooting out all over the place.

I usually throw a big piece of cardboard under my drain pan too to help contain the mess.

The oil filter..I can't help you there...I haven't figured out a way to get it off without making a mess yet.

For the ramps...I say it's a perfect excuse for a suspension lift and bigger tires :)

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I use this....

and a oil drip pan...

·
Registered
417 Posts
With 31x10.50 and a 2"bb I can slide under my jeep with ease with no ramps.. I'm 250 lbs. And with this being the world's easiest oil change at the same time world's messiest. Yes! To avoid the cannon effect. Drain oil with engine cold. You will have to let r drain awhile tho. And you can prime the filter. Just not all the way. Also I don't own a large oil filter wrench so removing my filter that seems to weld it's self on over time (I didn't put it on that tight! And lubed the gasket) requires me to hammer a screw driver through the filter... oh yeah.. turn it an inch and hammer it through in a different spot.. all the way through... turn again.. about 10 holes and it's loose! Talk about a mess! Everytime you strike it oil squirting everywhere.and dripping the entire time.. I changed oil for a living for almost 10 years before I became a tech.. ive seen some BS oil changes.. but this is in the top for easy but messy

·
Registered
34 Posts
By far, the messiest oil change I have had to deal with, ever. Here is a summary of my experience:

1- I needed to use ramps, I could not comfortably fit under the car to remove the oil drain plug.

2- The oil shoots out of the drain plug hole like a cannon, a bucket is mandatory, I had one of those square oil catch thingies, and nearly a quarter of the oil ended up on the driveway.

3- This car is a prime candidate for the Fumoto oil drain valve, which I will buy as soon as I have a chance. I can install a tube on the tip of the Fumoto valve and a hose which will make the process very clean.

4- Some folks like to pre-fill their oil filters, sorry guys, that is simply impossible to do on the Jeep with the oil filter sitting sideways, taking off the filter resulted in more than half the oil inside it spilling on the frame

5- Filled her up with Ford Motorcraft semi-synthetic 10W-30 and used OEM Mopar oil filter.

The process was straight forward but in my case very messy, I will be better prepared next time!
I found 2 misspelled words in your post that need your immediate attention.....:jawdrop:

My Jeep being lifted helps me alot getting under it to change the oil and I enjoy doing it. The F150 gets taking to a shop.....I'm not messing with that big ole mess of a project.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Put a plastic bag around the filter before you remove it. You should be able to "bag" the oil that flows out.

For me, the filter comes off last... after letting oil drain for a long...... time.

And, I did the fumoto valve. It is neat, but very slow...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Heres a quick fix for ya. Pull up your skirt and take it to the dealer if you can't figure out how to change the oil without getting it all over.
A bit of poly helps with the drips here and there.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I like the Fumoto. yes, it's slow but not too terrible, I also like that I don't have to remove my engine skid to drain my oil. While I do have an access hole for the oil and bolt on my skid, it is not perfectly aligned with the oil pan outlet.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have a special tool for removing the drain plug. It's a universal hex head remover on a flexible spring wire. I have yet to spill any oil. Besides that I'm not sure how it's so messy for Ya. Put the pan under the filter and unscrew it halfway to let it drain, then take it off.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Just changed my oil last night and i did not have any trouble getting under the Jeep. I am on 31s with no lift. Different for everyone though.

I also havent had an issue with oil getting everywhere as long as the catch pan is placed well. I will agree oil filter is a mess, and I usually get oil down the block and on the frame and exhaust. Just takes a little wiping up with a shop towel.

·
Commercial Member
7,880 Posts
Put a plastic bag around the filter before you remove it. You should be able to "bag" the oil that flows out.

For me, the filter comes off last... after letting oil drain for a long...... time.

And, I did the fumoto valve. It is neat, but very slow...
Beat me to the bag trick. Works well!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Meh.. just takes some practice I guess. I feel like I'm slacking if I get more than a few drops on the ground.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
You can get a good bit of oil in the filter (let it soak), just can't fill it up. Don't drain it cold. I have the valve with the hose not too slow if oil is hot. This is all on my motor home, don't change the Jeep myself unless its on my buddies lift.

·
Registered
65 Posts
With 31x10.50 and a 2"bb I can slide under my jeep with ease with no ramps.. I'm 250 lbs. And with this being the world's easiest oil change at the same time world's messiest. Yes! To avoid the cannon effect. Drain oil with engine cold. You will have to let r drain awhile tho. And you can prime the filter. Just not all the way. Also I don't own a large oil filter wrench so removing my filter that seems to weld it's self on over time (I didn't put it on that tight! And lubed the gasket) requires me to hammer a screw driver through the filter... oh yeah.. turn it an inch and hammer it through in a different spot.. all the way through... turn again.. about 10 holes and it's loose! Talk about a mess! Everytime you strike it oil squirting everywhere.and dripping the entire time.. I changed oil for a living for almost 10 years before I became a tech.. ive seen some BS oil changes.. but this is in the top for easy but messy
Hahaha I was laughing out loud as I was reading this because it reminded me of the time I had to take off one of those filters that just has a bolt in the end for you to use a socket to remove...well it didn't work that way and there I was stabbing the soab filter with a screw driver just like you did ohh and it started raining cause it took me that long to change it out 😕

·
Registered
21 Posts

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I will be better prepared next time - larger, taller (and better positioned) bucket for oil drain and bagging the filter are good ideas.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I must say, when I changed my oil in the fall, I only had a couple drops come out of the filter. Before you ask me how it didn't spill all over the place, I have no idea. I was ready with cardboard and rags. I pulled the drain plug and let it empty as I worked on my tractor. I got back to the Jeep 20-25 minutes later to pull the filter off, and nothing. Planning on trying that again this spring, cross your fingers.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I must say, when I changed my oil in the fall, I only had a couple drops come out of the filter. Before you ask me how it didn't spill all over the place, I have no idea. I was ready with cardboard and rags. I pulled the drain plug and let it empty as I worked on my tractor. I got back to the Jeep 20-25 minutes later to pull the filter off, and nothing. Planning on trying that again this spring, cross your fingers.
You need a better filter than, if oil is draining out of your filter than your engine is starting up with little to no lubrication, which is extremely taxing

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You need a better filter than, if oil is draining out of your filter than your engine is starting up with little to no lubrication, which is extremely taxing
I completely misread this, disregard.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
You waited long enough for the filter to drain (halfway), that's all.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You waited long enough for the filter to drain (halfway), that's all.
Good to know, that is how I will do it from now on then. If I don't have any other work to do while I'm waiting, I guess I'll just have to drink a beer or 5.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts