Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I got a new rubicon front axle and metal cloak adjustable control arms (all 8) installed and took it to OC House of Suspension for alignment.
Got the Jeep back and noticed the driver and passenger front lower control arms are different lengths.
Is this common? Should I take it back?
I feel like it drives straight.
Here are photos of control arms and alignment specs from the shop.
509E8F0F-EB74-4E99-AA8F-7008D7744559.jpeg

509E8F0F-EB74-4E99-AA8F-7008D7744559.jpeg
5BA61767-E5C5-4379-A9E1-C6987B5ADCB2.jpeg
image.jpg

·
Registered
482 Posts
Normally shops will give you paperwork that shows the before and after numbers. Its hard to say why they would do it without that info. If there was a thrust angle before, they could have been correcting that. If they are trying to correct the different caster numbers, all they are going to do is make your suspension bind up (to a degree)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Unfortunately this was the only paperwork I received. 😔

Normally shops will give you paperwork that shows the before and after numbers. Its hard to say why they would do it without that info. If there was a thrust angle before, they could have been correcting that. If they are trying to correct the different caster numbers, all they are going to do is make your suspension bind up (to a degree)

·
Registered
482 Posts
It only looks like a couple of threads are showing which is probably a difference of 1/8". If it seems like it rides fine and tracks straight, you probably are ok. You could always bring it back in and ask why it was done that way.

·
Registered
427 Posts
From what I have been reading the lowers should be set to the same length and on both ...the upper front arms you can put a jack under your pinion to your desired caster and mount up the arms - in some cases they may be different lengths

That is how my MC uppers are but it’s very minimal ... if I remember correctly I only adjusted one of them half a turn longer than the other so the bolt goes in smoothly

How tall is your lift ? Looks like you have corrections brackets along with the arms ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m running a 4” EVO plush ride springs lift and JKS drop brackets.

From what I have been reading the lowers should be set to the same length and on both ...the upper front arms you can put a jack under your pinion to your desired caster and mount up the arms - in some cases they may be different lengths

That is how my MC uppers are but it’s very minimal ... if I remember correctly I only adjusted one of them half a turn longer than the other so the bolt goes in smoothly

How tall is your lift ? Looks like you have corrections brackets along with the arms ?

·
Registered
375 Posts
The tech was probably trying to comp for road crown which works for IFS but not solid axle. They should be the same length.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Registered
375 Posts
If everything were perfect then yes same length but there are variables and the length they are set is what the alignment called for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
The stock arms are not adjustable and the alignment was probably good. For arguments sake I will agree that maybe the arms need to be different lengths to have a good alignment. I would expect the longer one to have a longer upper as well. In my case I had an inexperienced tech tell me he tried to comp the caster for road crown but his changes didn't make any difference because of the solid axle. What I meant by my statement was that the tech may not have known what he was doing and tried to set the caster for road crown unsuccessfully.

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,443 Posts
They are adjustable to allow for just such a scenario. Otherwise, whats the point?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've had more than one alignment shop over the years try to upsell me on a 4 wheel alignment or try to tell me I needed caster washers on one side of a solid axle to correct one side that was close to being out of spec...

I also had an alignment shop point out that my axle was in a bind due to a bracket being a lil bent...that is where adjustable arms are great. He did fix it with a solid whack (or 3) with a hand sledge.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oops, wrong thread. Won't let me delete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts