Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone on here run this lift? I'm about to order it, but wanted some input. It looks to be a very complete kit for my needs. 99% highway, some light offroad, and it's not a DD.

·
Registered
103 Posts
No, I don't - but I do run the Gamechanger ARB 3.5"

Personally I'd look into this one..

JK Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", Long Travel ARB Edition

For 350 more you're getting the two important adjustable control arms and better shocks too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
No, I don't - but I do run the Gamechanger ARB 3.5" Personally I'd look into this one.. JK Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", Long Travel ARB Edition For 350 more you're getting the two important adjustable control arms and better shocks too.
This is what I'm running. Super smooth on a daily driver w/ 315/70/17s I love how it drives and handles. I did also put the lower front arms on but its a great lift. Works well off-road too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is what I'm running. Super smooth on a daily driver w/ 315/70/17s I love how it drives and handles. I did also put the lower front arms on but its a great lift. Works well off-road too.
edit, km running the Arb kit, not the game changer. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have been running the 3.5 Overland elite for the last 4 months on and off road. It is a very complete lift and handles extremely well on both surfaces. It was dialed in right after I installed it with no major adjustments even after the alignment. Parts are solid and I had no issues during the install. Very smooth on the road, no bump steer and nose drop during hard braking. I have not hit the drop brackets on any rocks while out wheeling. Buy it, slap it on and enjoy. Am sure the 2.5 will have the same characteristics as the 3.5.

Tires are 35s on 18 methods.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Me personally I would avoid any kit that uses those types of control arm brackets. If it were me I would spend another $100 and get the True Dual rate Rocksport kit. In fact that is exactly what I intend to do. I would rather have adjustable CA's than the rear trac bar right off the bat.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One thing I like about metal cloak is the ability to add more later. I know a few guys that run the CA brackets and they haven't had any issues. I ordered the lift, so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congratulations,, You wont be disappointed and I agree with the ability to add more later. MC is a great company to deal with.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If their after sale support is anything like their help while deciding what to buy, I will be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Me personally I would avoid any kit that uses those types of control arm brackets. If it were me I would spend another $100 and get the True Dual rate Rocksport kit. In fact that is exactly what I intend to do. I would rather have adjustable CA's than the rear trac bar right off the bat.

Installed exactly this kit last week. I ordered the 2.5 but with no weight (Stock bumpers) I'm easy over 3", need to measure. Word of advice, They don't have specific directions (yet) for this kit with Rocksport. They will give you Front shockmount relocation brackets (for shock body frame clearance at full droop), like the Fox instructions indicate. Those brackets aren't used in the ARB instruction set. Ask me how I know.

·
Super Moderator
14,548 Posts
One thing I like about metal cloak is the ability to add more later. I know a few guys that run the CA brackets and they haven't had any issues. I ordered the lift, so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For your intended use, the Overland kit is the perfect choice. Nothing wrong with brackets and they do effect geometry in a positive way...

They reduce the control arm angle of attack which reduces the amount of energy transmitted through the control arms to the frame and thus, your seat. They also reduce brake dive under heavy braking. Not everyone will find these benefits important, but most do on a DD.

Here's a short read:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/rancho-control-arm-brackets-what-a-difference-1638017.html

·
Registered
24 Posts
With respect to drop brackets, for people that don't want to obsess about setup, dealing with jam nuts and angle finders, but still want their geometries close to spec. they are a great option. Drawback? A little less clearance and inability to fine tune. Sometimes the latter is a + if new to alignment (caster setup) or maybe just OCD and want to eliminate the urge LOL.

Cam bolts. That's what one should stay away from. Other than that, drop brackets or adjustable is fine depending on how much control you want over the setup.

My wife says ride is now "better than stock". Metalcloak has nice stuff.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Installed exactly this kit last week. I ordered the 2.5 but with no weight (Stock bumpers) I'm easy over 3", need to measure. Word of advice, They don't have specific directions (yet) for this kit with Rocksport. They will give you Front shockmount relocation brackets (for shock body frame clearance at full droop), like the Fox instructions indicate. Those brackets aren't used in the ARB instruction set. Ask me how I know.
I would guess that they sent the ARB kit instructions :crazy:
How you liking it so far? I intend to order mine in the next month or so. How is the ride? Those being a new shock I am kind of leery, but still leaning heavily towards that kit to start with.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Without hijacking the OP's thread too much, I'll say I like it alot. Everything was well made ( I thought the rear trackbar bracket could have used one more weld bead line on it, but probably me being anal).

I was worried about the Rocksports as well (not much info on them) but I find them to be a nice compromise on some other setups. Definitely firmer than stock, but not teeth rattlers either. Combined with the springs, body roll while cornering is way diminished. Only negative to the Rocksports I would give is cosmetic. They look fine, but paint job could have been better, and mine came unmarked if you were hoping for a Rocksport logo on them somewhere (could be a positive for some).

Regarding instructions:

1. They don't send any. Find them as a PDF on their site. I just randomly picked ARB figuring what could be different? (LOL). Couldn't call them Saturday to find out.

2. Details are scarce in the kit instructions. Go to each individual steps instructions for more details (example: Rear Bumpstop installation has a link just for that on their site. I found referring to these when on that step helpful).

3. Have your own torque spec sheet. They refer you to manufactures spec (without giving it to you, so they dont have to change their instructions if Jeep updates spec) unless its a part designed by them (brackets and such).

4. The instructions are very vague on adjustable control arm/trackbar setup. I think they don't want to be liable for you messing it up. Basically they state that they've been set at the factory to be close at 3.5" of lift. Make adjustments if doing a 2.5 and take it to a professional if you don't know how. They did provide a recommended setting chart as a starting point but it wasn't in the kit install instructions if I remember. It was in a control arm specific instruction sheet I think.

What I did was measured the upper control stock arm, looked at recommended setup for a 3.5 (shorter remember for uppers) and pseudo split the difference. Alignment guy said I almost nailed it. This is a shop specializing in Jeeps but not using a computerized rack. I'm gonna get it on a rack and get the numbers just for peace of mind though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did lots of research before I ordered this kit. I actually wanted LCA brackets, just because of ease of installation and I can always upgrade if I get into a lot of offroading, but for now it is all I need.

I'm mechanically inclined, so I am not worried about the install. However, hearing that their instructions are vague, that does worry me, especially of the torque values are not included.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They did email a link with the order confirmation to the install instructions. I checked it and there are instructions for the overland elite kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did lots of research before I ordered this kit. I actually wanted LCA brackets, just because of ease of installation and I can always upgrade if I get into a lot of offroading, but for now it is all I need.

I'm mechanically inclined, so I am not worried about the install. However, hearing that their instructions are vague, that does worry me, especially of the torque values are not included.
Me using the word vague may be overly harsh. Mostly anything related to tuning after install is left up to you. Probably due to liability.

From memory, they don't mention things like HOW to recenter your steering wheel, HOW to measure or correct for caster, toe, and such. Just the "If unsure, take to professional".

With respect to install instructions, I'll use the Rear Bumpstop as an example. The pre drilled holes are not symetrical. If the orientation is unclear to you from the main set of kit instructions, you need to get on the website and find the link to the Bumpstop specific instructions, which even include a video not present in your overall kit instructions (at least the case for me). Another example would be control arm length setup value chart present in one set of instructions but not another, causing me to use a few different instruction sets over the entire install to piece together exactly what I wanted to know.

I would have loved a link to the more specific instructions right in the kit instruction set instead of hunting for clarification until I finally figured out where to get the details I wanted. But maybe I'm thick and it's just fine for everyone else.

By the way, I called and offered this type of feedback when finished, and while they were super pleasant and patient with me, I got the impression they like it just the way it is (or it is that way on purpose), but thanks for the feedback.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts